Are There Any "Ghosts" Out There?

Richard Munchkin

30 years ago I was a dealer and part-time floor person. One Halloween night a spooking team came in to the joint and to my pit. The BP was dressed as a pirate, and I swear to you, the spook was dressed, you guessed it as a spook. I couldn't help but laugh. I got directly into the eye line of the spook, and when he made eye contact with me I just shook my head "no". He turned around and walked out, the BP played maybe 5 minutes and then left.

Now I'm sure a bunch of people will jump in here and tell you that spooking is illegal. That is an opinion as far as I know, not a fact. I don't believe there has ever been a spooking case conviction or even a trial that I am aware of. Bob Nersesian is the guest this week on Gambling With an Edge, and if we get time I will ask him about this.

Southpaw

Interesting comments Richard Munchkin. I usually don't make the guest chat sessions. If you speak with him on this subject, please report back to me.

Spaw

blackriver

Wow I'd be very interested in this. I have no experience with holecarding but I've seen plenty of opportunities to spook, this would be easy

Richard Munchkin

Southpaw, it is not a chat session. I do a radio show on Thursday nights in Vegas. If you click on either link in my signature you can get more info.

Southpaw

Richard Munchkin said:
Southpaw, it is not a chat session. I do a radio show on Thursday nights in Vegas. If you click on either link in my signature you can get more info.
My bad. I misread your post. I know this site often features guests during its chat sessions, and I assumed that this is what you were talking about.

Even if "spooking" is not illegal, I think that by using this technique one certainly is taking a very large risk of being backroomed and possibly jailed for a few days by attempting such tactics. I know some genius is going to chime in and say that the same risks apply with CC'ing, but CC'ers are usually dealt with by a tap, and I just don't see the house dealing with "spookers" so kindly.

Spaw

Richard Munchkin

One of my favorite quotes from my book was Chip Reese saying,
"Just because I haven't done anything wrong doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself some day."

I think it is quite likely you would be arrested if caught spooking.

Richard Munchkin said:
Now I'm sure a bunch of people will jump in here and tell you that spooking is illegal. That is an opinion as far as I know, not a fact. I don't believe there has ever been a spooking case conviction or even a trial that I am aware of.
What have been cases where there was a conviction or trial?

Richard Munchkin said:
One of my favorite quotes from my book was Chip Reese saying,
"Just because I haven't done anything wrong doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself some day."
That sounds more like Billy Walters. z:laugh:g

Richard Munchkin said:
Now I'm sure a bunch of people will jump in here and tell you that spooking is illegal. That is an opinion as far as I know, not a fact. I don't believe there has ever been a spooking case conviction or even a trial that I am aware of. Bob Nersesian is the guest this week on Gambling With an Edge, and if we get time I will ask him about this.
Along similar lines, a qualified legal opinion can be rendered that holecarding is an illicit act.
On the flip side, the Nevada Device Law, ban against hidden computer use, has some shaky Constitutional
conflicts and has never been sufficiently tested. zg

WRX

zengrifter said:
ZG's opinion, while we wait: Spooking is illegal-cheating, in Nevada anyway.
If Bob Nersesian posted this, I MIGHT give weight to his opinion, based on reputation alone, but I'd probably expect even him to explain his reasoning and the authority on which it was based. When zengrifter says this, I can't bring myself to attach any importance to it.

WRX said:
If Bob Nersesian posted this, I MIGHT give weight to his opinion, based on reputation alone, but I'd probably expect even him to explain his reasoning and the authority on which it was based. When zengrifter says this, I can't bring myself to attach any importance to it.
I thought that I properly qualified my comment with this --
zengrifter said:
Along similar lines, a qualified legal opinion can be rendered that holecarding is an illicit act.
On the flip side, the Nevada Device Law, [ostensibly a] ban against hidden computer use, has some shaky Constitutional
conflicts and has never been sufficiently tested. zg
My initial opinion was conventional, and I did not read Richard's observation initially.
Now I see that spooking MIGHT be "only" a gray area. zg

Richard Munchkin

bobstaman said:
What have been cases where there was a conviction or trial?
Well, there have been cases that went to the Supreme Court where they ruled that hole carding is legal. There have been cases brought to trial where they ruled using a hidden computer is illegal.

pit15

I've stood and stared at ploppies for hours. Sometimes it works and makes them uncomfortable enough to leave, a lot of times it doesn't. If it's clear you're making someone uncomfortable, start standing closer to them.

pit15 said:
I've stood and stared at ploppies for hours. Sometimes it works and makes them uncomfortable enough to leave, a lot of times it doesn't. If it's clear you're making someone uncomfortable, start standing closer to them.
I think a whole book could be written about what people have done to get a civilian out of a seat.