Bob Nersesian interview

For me it is now in the pockets if just a metal detector, and in the carry-on bag if it is a body scanner.

By the way - chips will set off the X-ray and cause a bag search. I put them in my pocket if not too many, or I seal chips in a plastic bag and take them out of the carry-on and put them in the bin with my shoes. But keep your eye on this bin. I had one friend who had a bag stolen by the TSA guys right out of the bin. He caused a big stink, the police were called. They of course sided with the TSA - Why do you have 16k in chips? But after a big enough stink the bag of chips suddenly appeared back inside his carry-on bag, even though the bag had been gone through 3 times.

Xenophon

My girlfriends brother in law was recently transporting 250K on a plane back from Seattle to LA. He and his wife own a jewelry store and he regularly travels to sell the jewelry or gold then return with cash.

The cash was confiscated after a law enforcement dog smelled cocaine. :eek:

They hired a lawyer to help get it back. I haven't heard the current status.

Does anyone here know laws governing the transportation of cash (limits etc.) with the circumstance of "drugs" on the money?

AussiePlayer

Richard Munchkin said:
We had so many questions that we ran out of time. But we are planning to have him back in 4 or 5 weeks so I'll ask him then.
Would also love to hear if any of the topics discussed last interview/in his book apply differently to overseas travelers visiting the US.

AussiePlayer said:
Would also love to hear if any of the topics discussed last interview/in his book apply differently to overseas travelers visiting the US.
I will ask about this next time we have him on, but I will tell you that it is very important that you declare going in or out of the US if you are carrying over 10,000 in cash. There is no law against bringing any amount in or out, but there are laws about declaring it.

FLASH1296 said:
I am not looking for Bob N.'s interview.

I am looking for the archive of podcasts.
yes, the link above will take you directly to the audio mp3.

This thread made me realize that my site was confusing since I have print interviews, and radio interviews. I have made some edits so hopefully it is now more clear. This is all new to me so I hope it will get better. Now if I can just figure out how to get the show into itunes...

Richard Munchkin said:
If you click the link below to richardmunchkin.com it takes you to my blog. Then on the right is a link to radio shows, and then click the one for bob nersesian. Here is a direct link

Nersesian
When I clicked on the link, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I've made sure that my Internet connection is working fine. I'm using Internet Explorer 8. Clicking on the links under Labels works fine. After that, clicking on the specific interview or podcast gives you this ongoing "Connecting" message. Any hints, Richard?

nicetrades200303 said:
When I clicked on the link, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I've made sure that my Internet connection is working fine. I'm using Internet Explorer 8. Clicking on the links under Labels works fine. After that, clicking on the specific interview or podcast gives you this ongoing "Connecting" message. Any hints, Richard?
My guess is it is some security setting in your IE. IE really is the worst browser. Try Firefox or Chrome. They are both free downloads. It also could be some security software like Norton or McAfee. When I click the link it goes directly to the mp3 and starts playing.

AussiePlayer

Richard Munchkin said:
I will ask about this next time we have him on, but I will tell you that it is very important that you declare going in or out of the US if you are carrying over 10,000 in cash. There is no law against bringing any amount in or out, but there are laws about declaring it.
Yep, was aware of the $10,000 declaration, the important thing about that is that it is $10,000 in total currency (including travelers cheques), not just $10,000 cash.

AussiePlayer said:
Yep, was aware of the $10,000 declaration, the important thing about that is that it is $10,000 in total currency (including travelers cheques), not just $10,000 cash.
Yes, 10k in "negotiable instruments". That means that say you are going home with 100k in travelers checks. If you make those checks out to someone, and sign them they no longer are negotiable and do not have to be declared. This is true coming into the country as well.

Richard Munchkin said:
If you make the traveler's check out to someone, and sign it, it is no longer a negotiable instrument. Yes, I am sure of this.
Yes, but has it been established that such "no longer negotiable instruments" need not be declared (despite what the letter of the law may seem to say)?

With the price of gold nowadays, why not just lug 4 lbs of gold around...instant 6-figure bankroll, and not I suppose a negotiable instrument.

Brock Windsor

bronco60 said:
Yes, but has it been established that such "no longer negotiable instruments" need not be declared (despite what the letter of the law may seem to say)?

With the price of gold nowadays, why not just lug 4 lbs of gold around...instant 6-figure bankroll, and not I suppose a negotiable instrument.
The gold is a good and must be declared. It would also have to be turned into cash before buying chips. I have cleared customs with over 10k in chips going into Canada. After looking up the legislation they said I didn't have to declare it.