Longest losing streak?

Currently in the middle of a looooooon losing streak spanning almost 7 months. All told I've put in almost 300 hours at the table and have nothing to show for it except a negative $2000 in the win column.

What's your longest losing streak?

ArcticInferno

You lost only $2000 in 7 months?
I've lost more than that in one day. I've won more than that in one day, too.
A $2000 loss over a 7-month span is almost like breaking even.

Lonesome Gambler

The problem here is that both of these posts don't tell you much of anything. Losing that much over that period of time is either a big deal or a complete non-event based on unit size and hands played during that period. If you're betting $500 a hand and only played over 6 weekends during that time, then it means absolutely nothing. If you're a nickel player playing 30 hours a week in Vegas, then it's probably time to re-evaluate your strategy. My guess is that it's somewhere in between, and that a simulation will show that you're well within 3 standard deviations. Now you know why everyone seems so serious about the whole bankroll idea!

Edit: I just noticed that the first post cites a 300 hour period, which gives us more information, but again: a $5 bettor should be much more concerned than even a $25 bettor, much less someone playing higher than that.

NightStalker

Yes, its not new to me :(

I'd couple of losing streaks for 300-400hours where my wins keep on oscilating at one stable value leading my effective win to be zero for 300-400 hours of play.. And then I take it to next level...

It's been frustrating but it does happens to me. So I'll say assuming 2k is kinda neutral, I would suggest to hang around and keep playing :)

psyduck

Username said:
Currently in the middle of a looooooon losing streak spanning almost 7 months. All told I've put in almost 300 hours at the table and have nothing to show for it except a negative $2000 in the win column.

What's your longest losing streak?
How bad it is depends on the size of your minimum and maximum bets.

Sucker

psyduck said:
How bad it is depends on the size of your minimum and maximum bets.
Exactly.

But let's suppose you're using a 1-12 betting spread. You can expect to have losing streaks of 300 hours or more with great regularity. With this spread, even a 2000 hour losing streak is not unheard of. The best card counter in the world can expect to have somewhere between one to two losing YEARS in a 40 year career.

Welcome to the world of card counting. You now have 3 choices: Get used to it, learn some advanced techniques; or quit playing altogether.

pooptarts92

When I was using HiLo I was overbetting my tiny BR (about 2.5-3k) due to misreading certain books and not really getting anyone to run sims for me. I was a noob then but still, I should have known better. Must have been 2 straight months of 16 and 15 vs faces and aces, just god awful bad beats like doubling soft 18 vs a 6, pull a deuce for 20, dealer goes 16 and pulls a 5... at true 5... it hurts but I've learned to get used to this type of variance since I know it can always be worse. I once lost my whole session BR in 2 decks of a 4 deck shoe, which was only $500 (yep that's the noob days) and was also due to my masher overbetting. I had to walk away from a true 6 or 7 shoe since I had no cash left. It was so bad, lost every insurance bet plus my hands, kept getting bad totals vs 7's and 8's that I had to hit (14 and 13) while busting most of them. Once I finish building my new BR, I now know my limits on the 2 games I'll be playing, soon to be 3 hopefully. But 2 months of this crap was my longest, haven't played a whole lot though to be honest.