Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

  #1  
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM
cosmarchy cosmarchy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default Can Someone Please Explain

I'm quite new to this sort of thing, so i'm hoping someone can explain something quite peculiar to me.

I have been watching live blackjack to try and get the lay of the land before betting.

Before the dealer physically deals the cards, the electronic cards appear on the screen in their appropriate places. The dealer then waits for the users response and again before she deals the cards, the electronic ones appear on the screen.

Does this not imply the software they are using already knows the cards and their order on the table and is pre-empting the dealer to hit or not. If this is the case how is this fair - it is no longer a game of luck.

What have I got wrong?
  #2  
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
London Colin London Colin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 378
Default

The cards are passed over a detector as they come out of the shoe. The information about their identity is sent to your PC, and the 'electronic' cards are displayed.

The video feed often lags behind the data feed a little, making it look like the computer is predicting the future.
  #3  
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM
cosmarchy cosmarchy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Colin View Post
The cards are passed over a detector as they come out of the shoe. The information about their identity is sent to your PC, and the 'electronic' cards are displayed.

The video feed often lags behind the data feed a little, making it look like the computer is predicting the future.
Thanks for sorting that one out - I knew there had to be a logical explanation!!

Another thought occurs...when playing RNG blackjack, it is limited to an 8 card pack as if it was being played with physical cards? Does it even matter I wonder?
  #4  
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Wookets's Avatar
Wookets Wookets is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 223
Default

In computer programs, what you actually see isn't always perfectly synchronized with the logical operations running behind the scenes. This is even more evident on the Internet when latency is introduced by connection speeds. An example of this is prevalent in many of today's first person shooter games. On your screen, you see tracers of the bullets go from point A to point B over time, but in most games, bullets travel instantaneously from point A to point B because that's what's actually programmed. The tracers are merely for visual effect and don't represent the true behavior of the bullets.

As per online BJ, I do believe that the cards are continuously shuffled, implying a near infinite number of decks.

Last edited by Wookets; July 13th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
  #5  
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
MangoJ MangoJ is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookets View Post
As per online BJ, I do believe that the cards are continuously shuffled, implying an infinite number of decks.
So you got dealt the same card twice ? There is a difference between continuous shuffle and infinite deck.
  #6  
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Wookets's Avatar
Wookets Wookets is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoJ View Post
So you got dealt the same card twice ? There is a difference between continuous shuffle and infinite deck.
Well, I guess it's not infinite, but it's far more than 8. Is that fair?
  #7  
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Gamblor's Avatar
Gamblor Gamblor is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Casino backroom
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookets View Post
In computer programs, what you actually see isn't always perfectly synchronized with the logical operations running behind the scenes. This is even more evident on the Internet when latency is introduced by connection speeds. An example of this is prevalent in many of today's first person shooter games. On your screen, you see tracers of the bullets go from point A to point B over time, but in most games, bullets travel instantaneously from point A to point B because that's what's actually programmed. The tracers are merely for visual effect and don't represent the true behavior of the bullets.

As per online BJ, I do believe that the cards are continuously shuffled, implying a near infinite number of decks.
Also in multiplayer shooter games, the game client extrapolates and projects the other players position. With a really good connection, the client and server can interact about 20 times per second (lets say every 40 ms, so furthermore there is an 80 ms delay from the other clients move to server, to your client). A good screen refresh rate, is about 60 times a second. So the client has to project the other players position a bit, normally you don't notice, since its only a fraction of a second. If the client connection is slow enough, this would explain "lag" (the client projected the wrong position of the other player, and updates the other positions with the delayed update), and why when you shoot other characters, they sometimes die after they run behind a wall.

Has nothing to do with blackjack
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Forum Software vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2011 Bayview Strategies LLC