Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM

Default video poker EV after taxes

If you were to play FPDW with a 100.7% return how do the taxes on the royal flushes effect your EV. I cannot seem to understand if taxes put you in -EV or just takes a percentage of your winnings. My problem is that if you tax just the royal flush it lowers the value of the royal flush which could make the game -EV. But if you were to tax your net winnings it would only be taking a portion of your winnings still putting you in +EV. This is probably a simple problem, but i can't seem to come up with the answer.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Executive Member

The answer is it depends. Best option is to talk to a CPA and let them address your situation. In the mean time, its probably best to stick to $.25 denomination so you aren't generating W2-Gs.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbballar23 View Post
The answer is it depends. Best option is to talk to a CPA and let them address your situation. In the mean time, its probably best to stick to $.25 denomination so you aren't generating W2-Gs.
X2!!

However, Bobstaman, you need to remember that the 100.7% EV gathered from FPDW is derived mostly from the Royal, as most paytables are top-heavy. Needless to say that the majority of your FPDW sessions will not incur a RF and therefore, the EV will not be affected by taxes.

Another thing that needs to be considered, in the event that you do hit the RF at some point, is how you file your taxes. As a professional gambler, you may either declare "EVERY SINGLE" loss on the "Schedule C" OR declare all losses "UP TO" the amount of your taxable income as a non pro but rather, a recreational player.

(ie. 1 W2G at $1 FPDW = $4000 in losses allowed to be declared).

I would also recommend reading "Tax Help for Gamblers", by Jean Scott, the Queen of Comps. A very valuable book for all intense and purposes.

Hope this helps!!

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Executive Member

I believe this is covered in beyond counting.

It's a good question, because taxes make FPDW not worth it.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Executive Member

considering that FPDW is only found in $.25 or less these days, taxes aren't relevant.