KO Preferred novice questions

1) What should I do when basic strategy already dictates to do something that's also an index play? For example, on 2 and 6 deck, BS says to always double on 11 vs A (except 6D/S17). This is also one of the index plays that the book says to double on 11 vs A at the pivot. Same with double 9 vs 2 at 2D, per proper BS. This is also an index play at pivot. So? What to do in these situations?

2) Is it wise to deviate from BS on my own based on the count, plays that aren't included in the indices? Suppose I have 11 vs 9 and the count is minus 9 at 2D with one deck remaining. Should I just hit instead of doubling? How about splitting tens? What if the count is very high and the dealer is showing 5 or 6? Or should I strictly follow BS and the index plays and that's it?

Thanks!

AussiePlayer

1. If your index for a certain play is the pivot point, then don't make that play below the pivot (hit instead of doubling below the index).

2. If you've done the necessary calculations/index generation then yes, if you don't have an index for a play, it would be unwise to try and just make it up on the run.