New member saying hello.

I always figure the polite thing to do when joining a new forum is to say hello! A short introduction, if I may. I have had a love for cards for as long as I can remember(my old man started playing poker with me sometime before 10). He turned me onto BJ in a formal setting six years ago. I quickly fell in love with the game, but had poor "luck" playing. With my being in the process of exiting my current hobby(racing cars) I'm in the need of a new one. I have decided to put my free time to learning the proper BS to playing BJ. Turns out the old man left out a lot of useful information, as in what to do on a lot of soft hands.

I have been browsing around this site for a bit now soaking up as much knowledge as I can. I'm just about a machine with knowing the text book way to play any given hand without factoring in a count. I went ahead and downloaded a BJ simulator and put in the table rules that are found at my home store. I have only played one time there as I never used to gamble outside of Vegas, but it will be my home. I've logged ~4600 hands so far on the simulator. I also read up a bit on a basic hi/lo cc system, but wasn't having the best of luck working on that on the pc. I learn a bit more efficiently practicing something in the environment I'll be using it.

On that note, I headed down to the local store for day one in my quest to learn in a real world situation. Let me tell you, playing at a full six deck table is a great way to test yourself as far as being able to keep track and remember what you left off on. I made sure to carry out conversations with all of the other players and the dealers as well. Out of ~18 shoes I lost count on two shoes and it was while I was deep in a conversation with the dealer. Since the store was busy and tables packed, if a shoe went TC -2 I would have them reserve my seat and I would excuse myself to the mens room(I was sure to drink plenty of water while playing so these actions didn't seem odd). I bought in with $200 on a $10 min s17 table. My bets mainly ranged from min to $30, but as high as $50. One dealer questioned why I didn't parlay my winnings and stayed at min bet. I responded with "every time I do that, I lose!" To make him happy, I doubled up, and lost. I then blamed him for my losing in a joking manner. I walked out, to my great surprise, up $425 and with a new respect for anyone who counts AND is a social butterfly. If I'm able to gather what I feel is a strong enough knowledge base, I'll set aside a $10k BR to start playing regularly.

Thanks for a great site to gather information! I look forward to leaning much much more and hopefully one day being able to share some of my own experience! I will be starting a spreadsheet to track 2011. Can't wait to hit up Vegas in September! May you all bet wisely and prosper! Sorry this ended up being quite a bit longer than I had intended.

blackjacktilt

noharmnofoul said:
I always figure the polite thing to do when joining a new forum is to say hello! A short introduction, if I may. I have had a love for cards for as long as I can remember(my old man started playing poker with me sometime before 10). He turned me onto BJ in a formal setting six years ago. I quickly fell in love with the game, but had poor "luck" playing. With my being in the process of exiting my current hobby(racing cars) I'm in the need of a new one. I have decided to put my free time to learning the proper BS to playing BJ. Turns out the old man left out a lot of useful information, as in what to do on a lot of soft hands.

I have been browsing around this site for a bit now soaking up as much knowledge as I can. I'm just about a machine with knowing the text book way to play any given hand without factoring in a count. I went ahead and downloaded a BJ simulator and put in the table rules that are found at my home store. I have only played one time there as I never used to gamble outside of Vegas, but it will be my home. I've logged ~4600 hands so far on the simulator. I also read up a bit on a basic hi/lo cc system, but wasn't having the best of luck working on that on the pc. I learn a bit more efficiently practicing something in the environment I'll be using it.

On that note, I headed down to the local store for day one in my quest to learn in a real world situation. Let me tell you, playing at a full six deck table is a great way to test yourself as far as being able to keep track and remember what you left off on. I made sure to carry out conversations with all of the other players and the dealers as well. Out of ~18 shoes I lost count on two shoes and it was while I was deep in a conversation with the dealer. Since the store was busy and tables packed, if a shoe went TC -2 I would have them reserve my seat and I would excuse myself to the mens room(I was sure to drink plenty of water while playing so these actions didn't seem odd). I bought in with $200 on a $10 min s17 table. My bets mainly ranged from min to $30, but as high as $50. One dealer questioned why I didn't parlay my winnings and stayed at min bet. I responded with "every time I do that, I lose!" To make him happy, I doubled up, and lost. I then blamed him for my losing in a joking manner. I walked out, to my great surprise, up $425 and with a new respect for anyone who counts AND is a social butterfly. If I'm able to gather what I feel is a strong enough knowledge base, I'll set aside a $10k BR to start playing regularly.

Thanks for a great site to gather information! I look forward to leaning much much more and hopefully one day being able to share some of my own experience! I will be starting a spreadsheet to track 2011. Can't wait to hit up Vegas in September! May you all bet wisely and prosper! Sorry this ended up being quite a bit longer than I had intended.
Welcome,
I have a question..... If I read this correctly, you played 18 shoes and originally bought in for $200 and walked out with $625 spreading mainly $10-$30 with a couple $50 bets?

Coyote

Welcome

Nice introduction. Welcome to the greatest Blackjack forum on the net.

Best of variance and fluctuation to you,
Coyote

blackjacktilt said:
Welcome,
I have a question..... If I read this correctly, you played 18 shoes and originally bought in for $200 and walked out with $625 spreading mainly $10-$30 with a couple $50 bets?
You are correct. My count of shoes may be off by a couple on the high side. If it helps any, I lost every $50 bet I made and it seemed every time I had $50 out it ended up as a split or double as well. Self admittedly, I played for far too long, but I was having fun "learning" if you would.