Prominent BJINFO Members in BJ INSIDER June

Ken, Barfy, Fred, and MOI, all in this month's BJInsider. zg

-----------------------

BJI Newsletter, June 2008, #101

A WORD FROM HENRY

Many BJI subscribers sent us congratulatory emails on the publication of our 100th issue. Others were complimentary on the issue itself, which contained articles written by some of the best players/authors around. If you haven't read our special 100th issue, click here. In any event, we thank you and look forward to publishing many more issues of the BJI. (PS: Please continue to spread the word about the BJI to your friends so we can continue to grow).

We kick off our June issue with an interview with John Chang (aka Mickey Rosa), who was the leader of the famous MIT blackjack team (provided by Joe Pane). Speaking of the MIT Team, the movie "21" portrays card counting as all glitz and glamour; however, blackjack pro and author Fred Renzey tells it like it really is in his article, So You Wanna' Be a Card Counter?. The Super Sevens side bet on blackjack tables looks very tempting. But you better read Alan Krigman's article before you make the bet. Ken Smith has a basic strategy surprise; namely, there is one hand that is misplayed 59 percent of the time by basic strategy players. Read Smith's article for the details. If you want to read about the history of card counting, read Barfarkel's and Zengrifter's well-researched article. There seems to be some change afoot in the rules for blackjack in Atlantic City, and Alene and Frank Scoblete cover them in their AC Blackjack Report (including a jab at the new no-smoking ban). One of the most gut-wrenching hands that you can get in blackjack tournaments is the dreaded 17. The Babe explains what happened to him when he was dealt a 17 in a tournament with Anthony Curtis on his table. Sammy Vaughn reminisces about one of his ole tournament colleagues in his delightful article, A Most Eccentric Player. Did you know that they made a major change in the World Series of Poker that is being played in Las Vegas right now? Read Bill Burton's article on what it is, and why he doesn't like it. Last, but not least, we've got a summary of major blackjack tournaments being held in June and July across the country courtesy of blackjacktournaments.com.

On Friday evening, June 13, from 8-10pm (EST) the show Vegas Winners and Losers will air on the E! Entertainment Cable Network. Two of the winners that will be featured are BJI contributing writer Frank Scoblete, and his partner Dom LoRiggio. Frank and Dom discuss craps (specifically dice control), and blackjack. Check your local TV listings for the time the show will air in your area.

If you come across an unfamiliar blackjack term in one of our articles or reports, see our Blackjack Glossary: www.bjinsider.com/questions_glossary.shtml
E-mail subscribers can also read each month's issue online at our web site: BJI Issue #101, June 2008.

Henry Tamburin
Editor

Last edited:
In the Barfy/ZG article there appears to be an error:
In single deck games:​

TC/BET

+1 bet 1​

+2 to +3 bet 2​

+4 bet 4​

+5 bet 5​
I would say that for most 1D games, even old Reno type rules (DD 10,11 only),
max bet should be reached at +3 or sooner (HiLo 1DTC). zg

Last edited:

mdlbj

Interesting Ken... There are an average 13.4 something cards delt out if there are 4 players at the table.. Lets see; if we were to educate people about true counts than this would not be a feature issue in the las vegas gas....Err whatever mag that wrote this. Let make it clear to those who seek the knowledge. 14 cards out means you have to use an simple side count or adjusted index play in single deck.

Its that easy.

not to Bust on your accomplisments, you are the foremost expert on Tourny play but lets keep it real for the newer generation.

Last edited:

sagefr0g

zengrifter said:
We generally use 2.8 per hand - x5 total hands dealt = 14 cards, right? zg
i think it's 2.7 per hand. to where you'd get 2.7 x 5 = 13.5 .
so maybe depends on how you round, floor, truncate or what ever?
rounding i think you go up if it's 0.5 so yeah 14 cards.

QFIT

Single deck when calculating cards per round, number of players matters and cut card or fixed rounds matters. Oddly, rules don't matter much. With four players:

Two rounds: 13.66 cards per round
Cut card: 13.22 cards per round

Last edited:

QFIT

zengrifter said:
In the Barfy/ZG article there appears to be an error:
In single deck games:​

TC/BET

+1 bet 1​

+2 to +3 bet 2​

+4 bet 4​

+5 bet 5​
I would say that for most 1D games, even old Reno type rules (DD 10,11 only),
max bet should be reached at +3 or sooner (HiLo 1DTC). zg
With four players and two rounds I agree. You've got to go max in round two at +2. With three rounds, the ramp makes sense (if you can find three rounds to four players.) Note: I didn't read the article so I have no idea what I'm talking about.:)

QFIT said:
Single deck when calculating cards per round, number of players matters and cut card or fixed rounds matters. Oddly, rules don't matter much. With four players:

I would think cut card might make for some interesting hit/stand decisions, being getting one more or less round is huge in SD.

mdlbj said:
Interesting Ken... There are an average 13.4 something cards delt out if there are 4 players at the table.. Lets see; if we were to educate people about true counts than this would not be a feature issue in the las vegas gas....Err whatever mag that wrote this. Let make it clear to those who seek the knowledge. 14 cards out means you have to use an simple side count or adjusted index play in single deck.

Its that easy.

not to Bust on your accomplisments, you are the foremost expert on Tourny play but lets keep it real for the newer generation.
"Yaa Keep it real!" --Ali G In Da House

Last edited:

mdlbj

Speaking of this fine piece.. You mentioned that you did not mention the MIT team. Who is this John Chan Fellow? Hmmm . You are spewing anger towards something you have yet to experience.

mdlbj

QFIT said:

So roughly as I said 13.4? And QFIT, are we playing with the advantage when we see these cards or is this just arithmetic?

Last edited:
mdlbj said:
Speaking of this fine piece.. You mentioned that you did not mention the MIT team. Who is this John Chan Fellow? Hmmm . You are spewing anger towards something you have yet to experience.
Experience what?
The only person spewing anger appears to be you, my friend. g(spewing)z

Last edited:
sagefr0g said:
i think it's 2.7 per hand. to where you'd get 2.7 x 5 = 13.5 .
so maybe depends on how you round, floor, truncate or what ever?
rounding i think you go up if it's 0.5 so yeah 14 cards.
So what does this have to do with Ken's article about hitting T2 v 4?

I have another shocker, BTW:
Never mind just T2, my revised BS calls for HIT ALL 12s v. 4. MIT knows about this, right?
Maybe something to do with that there CE? zg

mdlbj

zengrifter said:
So what does this have to do with Ken's article about hitting T2 v 4?

I have another shocker, BTW:
Never mind just T2, my revised BS calls for HIT ALL 12s v. 4. MIT knows about this, right?
Maybe something to do with that there CE? zg
I dont know if MIT knows anything about CE adjusted numbers plays but I think a few people who went there and became part of a card counting team would know something about it.

Yeah TC of 0 you hit 12 v 14.. Not anything new ZG. Thanks for getting the real educational piece out there. Now lets continue to correct the banter thats been laid out in this forum, lets help people here make some money playing rather debate how many cards one sees while playing a single deck game with 4 players at the table.

On a players 7-7 v Dealers 8 at a +10 TC what would you do?

Peace.

Last edited: