A funny thing happened at Foxwoods...

I was at Foxwoods one night this past weekend when I found a low-stakes table that I liked and sat down. The dealer was shuffling the decks when a player across from me announced that the dealer used to be on a team at Mohegan that searched for card counters! Ooops! I realized that this table wasn't a good choice after all! :) I thought about leaving but that would draw suspicion. So, I stayed and played the shoe leaving minus $70.

tensplitter

How much did you spread? Did you flat bet after the player said that?

If that happened to me I would have continued to vary my bets, but I would use a simple progression instead of counting. Or I would just randomly bet say $5 on one hand, $25 on the next, $10 on the third, $50 on the fourth, $5 on the fifth, $20 on the sixth, etc so that they can't figure out a pattern to my bets even if they counted along.

UK-21

halbruno said:
I was at Foxwoods one night this past weekend when I found a low-stakes table that I liked and sat down. The dealer was shuffling the decks when a player across from me announced that the dealer used to be on a team at Mohegan that searched for card counters! Ooops! I realized that this table wasn't a good choice after all! :) I thought about leaving but that would draw suspicion. So, I stayed and played the shoe leaving minus $70.
Expensive seat at the table then? Why didn't your mobile 'phone vibrate after one hand?

Foxwoods one night

Ha! Thanks for all of the good reasons to leave! I was a bit unnerved so I thought that staying for the shoe would be the way to go. I mostly flat bet and went as high as $50 when the count was good. Once the minimum bet went to $25, it was a good reason to leave.

The place was a bit empty, but they still raised the small tables to $25. The rest of the players at my table left all at the same time! They scared away their business!

johndoe

halbruno said:
I've run into dealers who make claims like this in order to sound like bigshots, or experts. They're usually full of it.

sabre

halbruno said:
I thought about leaving but that would draw suspicion.
I think I would have done one of the following, ordered by likelihood.

1) Ignored the comment and played my game
2) Switched tables immediately
3) Vomited on the table
99) Stayed and flat bet

NightStalker

Ask the dealer

Can you please tell me how much should i bet?
what is the count-good/bad?
Should i split my tens now?

This sounds like a ploppy and will confirm the report..

shadroch

halbruno said:
If someone went from being a counter catcher to dealing BJ, I'd surmise he wasn't very good at his first job and play my normal game.

johndoe

NightStalker said:
Can you please tell me how much should i bet?
what is the count-good/bad?
Should i split my tens now?

This sounds like a ploppy and will confirm the report..
I did exactly this on one of those occasions, and the dealer was way off. (I accept it could have been intentional, but I doubt it.)

beating vegas

halbruno said:
you could have just said i have to get a red bull .

Sero

shadroch said:
If someone went from being a counter catcher to dealing BJ, I'd surmise he wasn't very good at his first job and play my normal game.
Or maybe his team wasn't good enough? We never know what might have happened :)