Crash course in Texas Holdem?

21forme

I'm going to New Year's Eve party where Texas Holdem is one of the activities. I have no idea what the stakes are, but if they are low, as I expect they will be, I'll play the game. I've never played TH before, but have watched some WSOP on TV, and have a copy of Sklansky's book from when I was thinking of getting into it (but never did). Can anyone give me a crash course on what's likely to be a ploppy-infested, low-limit game?

Sucker

First thing; forget EVERY SINGLE THING that you've ever learned from watching the game on TV. Go to the doctor for electroshock therapy if you have to - ANYTHING to erase ALL memories of television poker.

Turn to the chapter in Sklansky's book where he describes "hand grouping". Read that chapter 3 or 4 times. At that point you will have enough skills to absolutely CRUSH a game full of PLOPPIES.

Best tip of all: Don't drink - or at LEAST drink less than THEY do!

fubster

Keep in mind the strength of position. Play very few hands from early position and a ton in late position.

Also gotta disagree with Sucker here. When playing live poker, heavy drinking is highly suggested.

fubster

+1 to the TV poker thing, though. It's good for learning the basic rules of the game (how blinds work etc) but that's about it.

Jack_Black

moo321 said:
Study EV charts for holdem to know which hands to play and which to fold.
http://www.tightpoker.com/poker_hands.html

Fairly easy to remember. just play any two face cards, or pairs down to 55. I remember having a conversation with you about how you felt poker is boring because you are constantly folding hands and waiting for good cards and flops. this is not the only way to play. So.....

the next step is to play any two decent cards. low suited, low pairs, low connectors, low suited connectors. only play those, if it will cost you just the big blind (limping in) to see the flop.

Don't forget to bluff from late position! Bluffing is great and easy to do at low levels. bluff with a 1/4 to 1/2 pot bet after the flop if everyone checked. Bluff at the river with a 1 to 3x pot size bet if you had one caller and you think he has something decent, but not the best hand possible(the nuts).

Jack_Black said:

Fairly easy to remember. just play any two face cards, or pairs down to 55. I remember having a conversation with you about how you felt poker is boring because you are constantly folding hands and waiting for good cards and flops. this is not the only way to play. So.....

the next step is to play any two decent cards. low suited, low pairs, low connectors, low suited connectors. only play those, if it will cost you just the big blind (limping in) to see the flop.

Don't forget to bluff from late position! Bluffing is great and easy to do at low levels. bluff with a 1/4 to 1/2 pot bet after the flop if everyone checked. Bluff at the river with a 1 to 3x pot size bet if you had one caller and you think he has something decent, but not the best hand possible(the nuts).
Compeletely disagree on the bluffing, bluffing in a drunk 1/2 game is lighting money on fire, just play strong starting hands and bet solidly when you have a good hand, and fold your marginal hands when someone is betting into you. Just play super straightforward and you will win.

Jack_Black

1357111317 said:
Compeletely disagree on the bluffing, bluffing in a drunk 1/2 game is lighting money on fire, just play strong starting hands and bet solidly when you have a good hand, and fold your marginal hands when someone is betting into you. Just play super straightforward and you will win.
how so? if you can get away with it, I say do it. of course, this is not a basic technique. but I was suggesting to 21forme that there are some different methods of playing the game other than the notion of playing tight.

BMDD

Jack_Black said:
how so? if you can get away with it, I say do it. of course, this is not a basic technique. but I was suggesting to 21forme that there are some different methods of playing the game other than the notion of playing tight.
The problem with attacking weakness in a loose ploppy infested game is that people will call with any chance of drawing out.

I would say just play very tight under the gun(first to act pre-flop) and loosen up as the button approach's. You can loosen up pretty significantly if you're on the button or one off if the pot has not been raised. If there has been a raise play extremely tight. If there is drinking involved the game will likely be pretty aggressive, this is what allows you to play a lot of hands in position. You can expect to get action if you hit your hand.

These types of games can be the easiest to play because playing straight forward is usually correct. Pretty much just play tight, and be very aggressive when you do have a hand. If you think you might have the best hand on the flop or turn it is usually right to protect your hand with a bet or raise to prevent others from drawing out. On the river, make large bets when your hand is strong, and check marginal hands for a showdown(especially in multiway pots.)

fubster

Jack_Black said:

People hate folding because folding isn't fun. Calling is fun, so people call more.

Jack_Black said:
But for a beginner player its a lot tougher to pick the right spots to bluff compared to picking the right spots to valuebet. While you should be aware of bluffing in a 1/2 game 98% of the time you shouldn't be trying it unless you are an experienced player.

fubster

When playing live $1/$2, 100% of your profits will come from showdown winnings. Expect to be in the red in terms of non-showdown earnings.

Bluffing is quite pointless almost always in a live 1/2 game

Sucker

It's still not clear whether the New Years game in question is limit hold-em or no-limit hold-em. If it's no-limit, you MIGHT be able to get away with a well-placed bluff every now & then, but if it's limit - don't even THINK of bluffing when you've got a game full of drunks and/or ploppies.

blackjacktilt

Tips

21forme said:
I'm going to New Year's Eve party where Texas Holdem is one of the activities. I have no idea what the stakes are, but if they are low, as I expect they will be, I'll play the game. I've never played TH before, but have watched some WSOP on TV, and have a copy of Sklansky's book from when I was thinking of getting into it (but never did). Can anyone give me a crash course on what's likely to be a ploppy-infested, low-limit game?

Fold everything except Aces and Kings in small blind / big blind, and one spot after known as UTG (under the gun). If you can see a hand in the small blind with no raise SEE IT FOR CHEAP. Home games are all about fun and rarely have a "shark" waiting to steal everyone's money. Use position, this depends on how many people are playing. Button is the best position and everything from A,Q, A,K pocket 7's and up should see action with a 3 to 4 Big Blind raise. If you're re-raised, know your player. Obviously Aces and Kings are to push and push A,K, Be willing and able to fold top pair when re-raised or see confidence by another player. The closer someone becomes to the table, the more they like their hand and the more they move away, the more they dislike. However, if they are leaning back with their hands folded or arms crossed on their chest, beware. Watch the feet, feet bouncing means a good hand or good draw. Watch how people handle their cards and chips. If they don't look at their hand and raise or bet, they have a good hand, if a draw is on the board and they double check, they're drawing. If they make a bet with alot of small chips, they are making their bet look bigger than it is and are most likely bluffing. If they throw their chips in instead of placing them in, ask your self why. This is a sign of aggression, whether it's hand strength or a bluff, you have to figure that out. Watch a particular player every hand you are not in. You will eventually pick up tells. I bet most everyone will play all sorts of hands so the first 20-30 mins, play premium hands until you know how everyone is playing. Pick on the habitual limper, meaning raise his ass every chance you get pre-flop and continuation bet especially when one on one. Aggression wins home games as most people are not willing to lose, just have fun. You will get the "action guy" or two, play strong hands against them only in position and let them bluff their chips away.
I could go on and on but this should make you a little change, and having fun doing so.
Good luck and enjoy

blackjacktilt

Jack_Black said:

too advanced for a player who is not experienced. I'm sure the game is 1/2 or lower so do not bluff. When raising, raise anywhere from 4-7 times the BB and use position!!! I SAY AGAIN, USE POSITION!!! When continuing to bet the flop, turn and river, make sure your bets are at least 3/5 the pot, especially when you hit or their is a draw. And fold top pair when these bets are re-raised unless you get some sort of tell on the player. You'll need to watch these people to see who likes to bluff their chips away or who overplays their hand.

21forme

Sucker said:
It's still not clear whether the New Years game in question is limit hold-em or no-limit hold-em. If it's no-limit, you MIGHT be able to get away with a well-placed bluff every now & then, but if it's limit - don't even THINK of bluffing when you've got a game full of drunks and/or ploppies.
It's a limit game.

Sucker

21forme said:
It's a limit game.
Then for the game you're talking about, I would advise you to never attempt anything more than a semi bluff. Example of a semi bluff (which will probably come up several times tomorrow night): You have A-4 suited in a late position and the flop comes with two cards of your suit. Someone bets, three people call, you RAISE! Even though this is a bluff, it's actually +EV in this situation. You only have about a 1 in 3 chance of winning the hand, but you're getting FOUR to ONE on your money. Other than THIS sort of situation, any attempts to STEAL a pot in a game full of ploppies usually results in nothing more than throwing money away.

Good luck tomorrow night! And happy New Year!

Jack_Black

fubster said:
People hate folding because folding isn't fun. Calling is fun, so people call more.
I like bluffing and getting away with it. Bluffing is more fun than calling for me. Not quite as satisifying as having the nut hand and setting a trap, but still up there.

I guess the point will be moot as the game mentioned is a limit game, and I also stressed that this is not a beginner technique. but still!!! it is important to learn about bluffing as it is a great tool to use in holdem no limit. you guys also can't tell me that even in a drunk ploppy infested game that there will be a showdown 100% of the time can you? meaning that there will be opportunities to bluff depending upon how often showdowns occur.

I have a poker buddy who plays more aggressively when he's drunk. it's seriously dr jekyll/mr hyde with him. when he's sober, he's calculated and picking his battles. when he's drunk, he turns into the wildman bully player that raises 5x the pot. people know he's bluffing, but they don't want to risk that much to call it. I unfortunately did once, and he unfortunately did have it that time.

hey, if a drunk guy can bluff, so can a sober guy!

Thunder

fubster said:
When playing live $1/$2, 100% of your profits will come from showdown winnings. Expect to be in the red in terms of non-showdown earnings.

Bluffing is quite pointless almost always in a live 1/2 game
Sorry but this is BS when it comes to no limit games. At a good table for NL, you're going to need to be able to do this to win at all. For limit, I agree, bluffing is pointless.

fubster said:
This.

To bluff at low limits or tournaments full of drunks and those who could care less about the money is pretty much a waste of time. People will chase AK, AQ, KQ, and any small pair to the river simply because they saw Daniel Negreanu do it on TV or because they think the other player is full of it. They'll catch their second pair on the river and think they are Gus Hansen.

The key to these little donkaments is to play strong cards strongly and hope for the best. Don't wait to get blinded off. If you get down to 10-15 big blinds shove with any ace or any pair.

Good luck.