$200 bucks enough to play?

I am going down the Showboat this thursday. I am playing in a poker tournament first, and if I bust then I want to play something different. I am going to have about $200 dollars left over to play whatever I want so I figured Blackjack being one of the best table games this would be enough. Is it really? How much should I bet? Or it's not enough I shouldn't even play? Thanks everyone for you answers.

Sonny

What is your goal?

I can't say if it's enough if I don't know what you expect from it. If you just want to play for an hour or two and get some free drinks, $200 is probably enough if you flat bet the table minimum and play BS. If you expect something more, it will depend on your goal.

-Sonny-

Sonny

You could easily win some money if you get lucky, but I wouldn't expect to double your bankroll. It all depends on what kind of strategy you plan to use.

-Sonny-

daddybo

if the table minimum is $5, you'll have a big enough bank roll for some fun..

You would probably be better off playing dollar bets with a good strategy at roulette with that small a bankroll. Mainly because you can bet smaller units and increase your chances of a win.. even though the house edge is probably a bit higher. i.e. no advantage.

or maybe play Craps... depending on the minimum bet.

just my thoughts...

shadroch

Flat betting a $5 or $10 table,you have enough to enjoy yourself. I wouldn't count on doubling my money, nor expect to lose it all.

JohnJS37 said:
I am going down the Showboat this thursday. I am playing in a poker tournament first, and if I bust then I want to play something different. I am going to have about $200 dollars left over to play whatever I want so I figured Blackjack being one of the best table games this would be enough. Is it really? How much should I bet? Or it's not enough I shouldn't even play? Thanks everyone for you answers.
You have enough time until thursday. :grin: Learn Oscars Grind. From your post i understand you wanna make some money. Dont expect to double it , but take a walk whenever you think you are good :cool:. Like up around 60-100 or so.

Blue Efficacy

daddybo said:
if the table minimum is $5, you'll have a big enough bank roll for some fun..

You would probably be better off playing dollar bets with a good strategy at roulette with that small a bankroll. Mainly because you can bet smaller units and increase your chances of a win.. even though the house edge is probably a bit higher. i.e. no advantage.

or maybe play Craps... depending on the minimum bet.

just my thoughts...
The only "good roulette strategy" is avoid the 5 numbers bet that includes 0 and 00. Other than that, the house edge remains constant, and much higher than BJ. Therefore, I disagree with this advice.

I have easily doubled $200 buy ins on $5 tables with a modest spread. Granted, I probably have better games than are offered at Showboat, but nevertheless...

daddybo

Blue Efficacy said:
The only "good roulette strategy" is avoid the 5 numbers bet that includes 0 and 00. Other than that, the house edge remains constant, and much higher than BJ. Therefore, I disagree with this advice.

I have easily doubled $200 buy ins on $5 tables with a modest spread. Granted, I probably have better games than are offered at Showboat, but nevertheless...
... and I'll wager you've probably lost a few too. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I said that assuming the Showboat is NOT a good game (haven't seen too many $5 games that were)... and if he's not a good BS player or counting... he may be better off on roulette... You can't beat the house edge but you can get lucky and make some money with out risking very much in roulette, if you know what you are doing.

Deathclutch

I started with $260 and up to about $2300 in 15 days of play. Mind you I've been playing many many hours since I started. So it's possible but I most definately wouldn't be counting on it.

Blue Efficacy

daddybo said:
... and I'll wager you've probably lost a few too. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I said that assuming the Showboat is NOT a good game (haven't seen too many $5 games that were)... and if he's not a good BS player or counting... he may be better off on roulette... You can't beat the house edge but you can get lucky and make some money with out risking very much in roulette, if you know what you are doing.
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IN ROULETTE.

Almost every wager has the same HE... which is much higher than blackjack, even with "average player" strategy.

Mr. T

Learn BS. Flat bet on low stake table. Then your $200 may last for some time.
As for winning or double your money, that is for daydreaming.

Blue Efficacy

Mr. T said:
Learn BS. Flat bet on low stake table. Then your $200 may last for some time.
As for winning or double your money, that is for daydreaming.
I used to win and double my money quite frequently when I played BS blackjack.

Granted, I lost slightly more frequently, but remember, BJ can be an easy game to win on in the short run if you're getting good cards.

daddybo

Blue Efficacy said:
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IN ROULETTE.

Almost every wager has the same HE... which is much higher than blackjack, even with "average player" strategy.
It does matter BE... and I bet you didn't realize the roulette games with the BEST rules have a smaller house edge than Blackjack with the WORST rules. (sometimes by nearly 1%)

If you had $200...Would you rather have a 47% chance of losing or a 5% chance of losing on a single bet? (just trying to get you to think a little) :)

Having said that, BJ is much more fun...IMHO

Blue Efficacy

daddybo said:
It does matter BE... and I bet you didn't realize the roulette games with the BEST rules have a smaller house edge than Blackjack with the WORST rules. (sometimes by nearly 1%)

If you had $200...Would you rather have a 47% chance of losing or a 5% chance of losing on a single bet? (just trying to get you to think a little) :)

Having said that, BJ is much more fun...IMHO
You can easily rig a roulette table so you'll win 95% of the time. However, how can you do so in a way that will let you win more than the sum of your bets?

Kasi

Blue Efficacy said:
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IN ROULETTE....
Well in a way no but in a way yes.

Assuming the goal of the OP is to double roll or lose $200 while trying.

The OP could expect to double a 20 unit roll at a single-0 roulette table flat betting $10 25% of the time. ( I think lol).

I think he could expect to double a 10 unit roll using a cancellation system about 42% of the time.

Or double a 10 unit roll at craps 48% of the time using the same system.

The house edge doesn't change of course but the chances of achieving a goal of doubling roll do.

If one's goal is to double roll or lose it all while trying, why not try to maximize the chances of achieving that goal?