"Thank You" feature

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
You'll notice a new "Thanks!" button under each post.
Click it to show your appreciation for helpful or insightful posts. User profiles will also show how many thanks have been given or received by that user.

So, get thanking!

kewljason

PrinceDragon said:
errr,does this new feature mean anything:confused:

P.D.
I was wondering about this myself. I am thankful that this site exists and truely grateful for all expert (and some not so expert) advise that I have received here, however, no offense to Ken, but clicking thanx after each useful post, seems like it may turn things into a popularity contest.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
PrinceDragon said:
errr,does this new feature mean anything?
No, if you mean that anything occurs as a result of being thanked or not being thanked. But it does give you an easy way to express support for helpful posts.

shadroch

Thanked 21 times, but nary a thank you in return. Whatever happened to Southern ospitality? I intend to send written Thank You notes to any and all who thank me.

KenSmith said:
No, if you mean that anything occurs as a result of being thanked or not being thanked. But it does give you an easy way to express support for helpful posts.
I would rather see just a Thumbs Up/Down function anonymous - counts the
Yea/Nay - and a separate Thank You if the reader wants to be ID'd.

Then a roll-call page of the top 20-40 members with post count, yea/nay count, and thank you count. zg

Ps - I wanted to THANK MYSELF, but it won't let me!

Last edited:

kewljason

zengrifter said:
I would rather see just a Thumbs Up/Down function anonymous - counts the
Yea/Nay - and a separate Thank You if the reader wants to be ID'd.

Then a roll-call page of the top 20-40 members with post count, yea/nay count, and thank you count. zg
For what purpose? How is a contest to elect someone Miss Congeniality any value to the members of this site?? :confused:

kewljason said:
For what purpose? How is a contest to elect someone Miss Congeniality any value to the members of this site?? :confused:
The Yea/Nay is not a popularity - it follows in the vein of all Web social
media, establishing levels of trust among readers, posters, lurkers. zg

kewljason

zengrifter said:
The Yea/Nay is not a popularity - it follows in the vein of all Web social
media, establishing levels of trust among readers, posters, lurkers. zg
The purpose of this board as I understand it and as stated in the first line of "the welcome page" is to share information and advise. So because a poster has x number of "stars" next to their name makes their infomation any more valuable?? I have read some posts from reliable experienced respected players that have opinions that fly in the face of the mathematics of blackjack or are just flat out incorrect.

Isn't it up to each reader to use his/her own brain to determine what is and isn't correct?? Or do we just conclude that poster x said it is so and he has 8 stars to his name, therefore it must be so!

It just seems to me that this will create a tier system, making it appear that certain posters opinions are more valuable than others, which may be the case, however, again, it's really up to each individual reader to decide that for him/herself.

kewljason said:
Isn't it up to each reader to use his/her own brain to determine what is and isn't correct?? Or do we just conclude that poster x said it is so and he has 8 stars to his name, therefore it must be so!
We avoid that with a thumbs-up/down vote, which is anonymous.

Come to think of it... A Thank You button, the new one is kinda dumb... what we can't just hit reply and say thank you?

Other than that, and my previous comments, several of us would like to see a flagging button to automate putting the quick kibosh on posters and posts like this -
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=15475

shadroch

The problem would be that no one would know if the poster was thanked for his posts on BJ or his political post. There are folks here that never post anything about BJ, just rant on politics all day and could end up being looked at as BJ experts as so many people have thanked them for their posts.
This whole idea, while well intentioned, needs to be fine-tuned or discontinued.

Finn Dog

Just seems if there's a feature for people to voice their support of a post through a thumbs up, a more true sampling of a post's merritt might be determined with an option for people to voice their differing opinion via a thumbs down.

Or perhaps, if it ain't broke...

Finn Dog said:
Just seems if there's a feature for people to voice their support of a post through a thumbs up, a more true sampling of a post's merritt might be determined with an option for people to voice their differing opinion via a thumbs down.
Right: Thumbs up/down, also FLAG, -- but NO Thank You. zg

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
A thumbs-up/thumbs-down approach, even if anonymous, seems like it would cause more divisiveness, so I don't want to try that experiment. Besides, I'm not sure a convenient plug-in solution for that exists.

However, it is apparent that the Thank You feature was more controversial than I expected. It seems to work well on some other boards where I participate, but perhaps this forum is different.

Maybe I'm reacting to a vocal minority, but I'm disabling the feature for now.

kensmith said:
a thumbs-up/thumbs-down approach, even if anonymous, seems like it would cause more divisiveness, so i don't want to try that experiment. Besides, i'm not sure a convenient plug-in solution for that exists.

However, it is apparent that the thank you feature was more controversial than i expected. It seems to work well on some other boards where i participate, but perhaps this forum is different.

Maybe i'm reacting to a vocal minority, but i'm disabling the feature for now.
Thank You

Last edited: