Dealer Shortage in PA

peaegg

color blind bj dealer

I once did have one. He could not tell red from green. One player had a red mixed in a few green chips. The dealer paid him all green. I was wondering why he did that until he told us he is color blind in the next shoe. I guess the house would definitely loss money if they don't screen color blindness when they hire dealers. It is not just for roulette.

Was in PA in Sept.

I'm still a novice counter so I can't speak to how much of an advantage an AP would have in PA, but the dealers, at least at Mt. Airy, were horrible. I guess you have to learn sometime but I saw:

I had 20, dealer 18. She took my bet. I was like , "Whoa!" After the boss and camera review I finally got my $25 back. Then I said "Great, where's my other $25 for winning" which sent the pit into another 10 minute tailspin before I got paid for that.

Dealer up card = Ace. She peeks, then proceeds around the table. The guy next to me has blackjack so he gets paid. Comes around to the dealer and she flips a 10 - blackjack. Another 10 minutes of turmoil ensues. Pit boss makes the guy with the blackjack payback his winning AND his original bet. All other wagers are also confiscated by the house.

Other things like double-down card is not placed perpendicular to your first two cards / $25 bet and you get a BJ. Sometimes get paid $37.50, sometimes $25, once I got $50. It varies. / PA law also forces you insure a BJ if you want even money on a dealer Ace. That adds further entertainment with a novice dealer.

I'm beginning to think the AP might not do so good in PA because you need to spend half your brain power watching the house and with all the reviews and problems, you're lucky if they can deal 30 hands per hour. Maybe things have improved since Sept. but it was a mess during my visit.

geneticfreak

PA law does not force insurance - even money is offered, and encouraged at Sands. At least they understand it is the same thing and in the house's best interest to offer even money.

There's plenty of opportunity to take advantage of mispaying dealers, if it is in your favor. I've been payed on a blackjack then paid again on my original bet that I placed in the circle as the dealer proceded to bust and pay the entire table. I've had pushes paid and losses paid, but still nothing beats 5:2 on a blackjack.

Hopefully there have been changes

I was there in Sept. and was at Mt. Airy. Maybe something has changed in the way they offer insurance now. I got the "it's PA law" story from a dealer and he may have been mistaken. Regardless, during my visit, players looking for even money had post insurance first. Someone also mentioned that in the early days of Atlantic City that this was the norm. Can't vouch for that because that was before my day.

victorino

bosox164 said:
I was there in Sept. and was at Mt. Airy. Maybe something has changed in the way they offer insurance now. I got the "it's PA law" story from a dealer and he may have been mistaken. Regardless, during my visit, players looking for even money had post insurance first. Someone also mentioned that in the early days of Atlantic City that this was the norm. Can't vouch for that because that was before my day.
insurance and even money are the same, yes?