Rollercoaster Ride Yesterday...

LovinItAll

flyingwind said:
Do you have a photographic memory?
Interesting thing (I think)....

When one begins to really concentrate on a particular endeavor, their memory usually goes along for the ride. I was listening to a golfer give the shot-by-shot during a post-round interview and a friend said, "How can he remember what club he used on every shot?" After the needling shot "If you didn't shoot 120, you might remember, too", I mentioned that I always remembered every club I used on any hole after every round, and I can still remember clubs and yardages from most (if not entire) rounds that were significant to me (1st time I broke 80, 1st time shooting even par, 1st time in the 60's, tournament rounds, etc.).

I can remember a good number of the hands I played last night , who else was playing, and even what their bets and cards were during specific counts.

In no way do I have anything close to an eidetic memory as one typically imagines, but I think most of us have the capacity for excellent memories within a skill subset, and the more skill we have at a particular thing, the better our memories tend to be in relation to that thing. I think remembering the cards during a split sequence, on a doubling hand, or with a big bet out is pretty automatic for most AP's.

Best ~ L.I.A.

P.S. Oh yeah - the OP has a gambling poblem. Maybe even worse is his comment, "I don't have a gambling problem because I only play x times per month." Same as the once-a-month alcoholic. If you can't control it, it's a problem.

The OP is right about our emotional response to the amount of our loss. After passing through an amount that creates anxiety, there does reach a point where players become numb to the amount they are losing. That's also the point when they are most likely to lose everything. The dealer saying, "Are you sure?" is a good indicator that the OP was showing the stress of his losses. A bartender would be liable if he served this type of person another drink after witnessing the patron's loss of control. FYI: I'm NOT saying that dealers should have any say in what patrons wager, just an analogy.

Good cards ~ LIA