You can watch the movie 21 on line for free

sagefr0g

QFIT said:
It has always been legal to borrow copyrighted works. No such thing as "borrowrighting.":)
ok think i'm getting it. so it's ok to buy a copyrighted work, or recieve it as a gift, lend it and sell it.
but it's not ok to copy it then give it away, lend it or sell it. i guess thats the idea in a simple way.
not to sure where the idea of paying royalties works in. but i know radio stations pay musicians royalties sometimes when they play a musicians copyrighted music. :confused: how about dj's in a night club, or lol even karioke singers, players?
and oh yeah like google, microsoft and others are i think scanning books into digital images. so what are they supposed to pay royalties in some form?
how about when you provide a link to some legally published work? that sort of thing?? :confused:

Canceler

Speaking of libraries, music, and copyrights...

I have the Abbey Road album on vinyl, and a turntable that hasn't worked in decades. Since I had already paid for the music, I felt justified in borrowing the CD from the library and ripping the album onto my computer. I would not feel justified in doing the same with an album I did not already own. In fact, that may be illegal. Maybe ripping the Abbey Road album was illegal, I don't know. Any comments on this?

sagefr0g

Canceler said:

I have the Abbey Road album on vinyl, and a turntable that hasn't worked in decades. Since I had already paid for the music, I felt justified in borrowing the CD from the library and ripping the album onto my computer. I would not feel justified in doing the same with an album I did not already own. In fact, that may be illegal. Maybe ripping the Abbey Road album was illegal, I don't know. Any comments on this?
lol obviously i can't comment on the legality. just would say your holding your actions up to a high level of moral and ethical principles IMHO.

QFIT

sagefr0g said:
ok think i'm getting it. so it's ok to buy a copyrighted work, or recieve it as a gift, lend it and sell it.
but it's not ok to copy it then give it away, lend it or sell it. i guess thats the idea in a simple way.
not to sure where the idea of paying royalties works in. but i know radio stations pay musicians royalties sometimes when they play a musicians copyrighted music. :confused: how about dj's in a night club, or lol even karioke singers, players?
and oh yeah like google, microsoft and others are i think scanning books into digital images. so what are they supposed to pay royalties in some form?
how about when you provide a link to some legally published work? that sort of thing?? :confused:
Right. Royalties are paid by radio stations, night clubs, karaoke clubs, juke boxes, etc.

Normal links are no problem. Frame and iframe links, which make it look like material on another site is on your site, are not.

Google has deals with some publishers that allows them to scan only books selected by the publishers. The publishers get revenue from ads. Google is also scanning books outside of these agreements and is being sued. Frankly, I believe Google is run by criminals. They have stolen from me in the past.

QFIT

Canceler said:

It is legal for you to copy your LP to CD for your personal use. It is not legal to borrow a CD and copy it. This is a different work. I bought new CDs for most of my albums. I also had multiple copies of my favorite albums. In the case of Zep I, I had two normal LPs, one Japanese release vinyl, a normal CD and a gold plated, original master CD.

Canceler

sagefr0g said:
just would say your holding your actions up to a high level of moral and ethical principles IMHO.
I'm just one of those old guys who doesn't think something should be free just because it's in digital form.

QFIT said:
It is legal for you to copy your LP to CD for your personal use. It is not legal to borrow a CD and copy it. This is a different work.
Oh oh. Well, they're just going to have to hunt me down.

sagefr0g

Canceler said:
I'm just one of those old guys who doesn't think something should be free just because it's in digital form.

Oh oh. Well, they're just going to have to hunt me down.
practically speaking i doubt you are the type that anyone has an interest of hunting down with regard to these issues. :)

sagefr0g

QFIT said:
Right. Royalties are paid by radio stations, night clubs, karaoke clubs, juke boxes, etc.

Normal links are no problem. Frame and iframe links, which make it look like material on another site is on your site, are not.

Google has deals with some publishers that allows them to scan only books selected by the publishers. The publishers get revenue from ads. Google is also scanning books outside of these agreements and is being sued. Frankly, I believe Google is run by criminals. They have stolen from me in the past.
so i wonder what is the solution. i mean it's just such a wonderful thing ie. Google, youtube, blog's and all. so but i mean it was so simple back when it was just libraries. now it's complicated and easy for the rip off factor. i guess what i'm saying is you hate to see the baby thrown out with the bath water on the one hand you have these great resources for anyone that cares to utilize them and on the other hand you got creators and builders of intellectual property getting ripped off. :confused: