Soft 20 vs 5,6 index plays?

forest8016 said:
Is there an index for soft 20 vs 5,6 to double? I assume it to be fairly high, maybe TC +4 or +5?

EDIT: Using Hi-Lo.
It is the same as splitting tens for HIOPT II. It is a play not made often but every time I did it I pulled an ace or ten with max bet out. Very profitable and not such a red flag play as splitting tens and it only eats one card.

paddywhack

forest8016 said:
Is there an index for soft 20 vs 5,6 to double?
EDIT: Using Hi-Lo.
tthree said:
It is a play not made often but every time I did it I pulled an ace or ten with max bet out. Very profitable and not such a red flag play as splitting tens and it only eats one card.
Still draws the ire of the ploppies though. They think soft 18 is a good hand, doubling on soft 20 - what, you nuts man :laugh:

kewljason

I don't like the play all that much. It draws additional attention. Maybe not as much as splitting 10's, but it does draw additional attention and drawing as little attention to myself is my top priority. I basically treat the play as I do splitting 10's. I will do so at very high counts. (higher than the index for the play) and make sure I am leaving at the next shuffle.

Doubling A9 creates even more variance than splitting 10's. With splitting tens you can turn your most likely winning hand into a double win, a push (win one lose one) or a double loss. With doubling A9 the possibility of that push is much smaller. You most likely will turn your probably winning hand into a double win or double loss.

Increased variance isn't a reason not to make the play for me. As I said, my reason is longevity concerns, but increased variance should be a consideration for some of the players on this site that seem to be playing under-bankrolled.

Last edited:

21forme

paddywhack said:
Still draws the ire of the ploppies though. They think soft 18 is a good hand, doubling on soft 20 - what, you nuts man :laugh:
This is a good thing. Another great way to clear the table in a high count.

BJgenius007

bigplayer said:
Easy to remember, it's basically the same index as 10-10 splitting.
I used Advanced Omega II, doubling A9 vs 6 and 5 is slightly rarer than splitting 20 vs. 6 and 5.

Tags for splitting 20 against 6 and 5 are +4 and +4.5.

Tags for doubling A9 against 6 and 5 are +4.5 and +5.

The above tags are for half deck true count. For full deck true count, the tags are +8, +9 and +9, +10.

BJgenius007 said:
I used Advanced Omega II, doubling A9 vs 6 and 5 is slightly rarer than splitting 20 vs. 6 and 5.

Tags for splitting 20 against 6 and 5 are +4 and +4.5.

Tags for doubling A9 against 6 and 5 are +4.5 and +5.

The above tags are for half deck true count. For full deck true count, the tags are +8, +9 and +9, +10.
You get 2 ten value cards far more frequently than you get an ace and a 9.