The ploppy sez...

21forme

I sat down at a table and one guy with a know-it-all attitude was playing a poor side bet almost every hand and doing the usual ploppy misplays (not hitting soft 18 when he should, not hitting 12 v 2, etc.)

Count is mildly negative and I had a 12 v 6. I hit it. If I didn't hit it, the dealer would have had 21. Since I did hit it, the dealer broke. I exclaimed,"Good thing I hit that. Table save!" Ploppy said to me, "Bad plays shouldn't be rewarded." He got up and left.

tezzadiver

21forme said:
I sat down at a table and one guy with a know-it-all attitude was playing a poor side bet almost every hand and doing the usual ploppy misplays (not hitting soft 18 when he should, not hitting 12 v 2, etc.)

Count is mildly negative and I had a 12 v 6. I hit it. If I didn't hit it, the dealer would have had 21. Since I did hit it, the dealer broke. I exclaimed,"Good thing I hit that. Table save!" Ploppy said to me, "Bad plays shouldn't be rewarded." He got up and left.
It never ceases to amaze..... At least you had the table to yourself after?

BJLFS

I had a ploppy say to me that I didn't know how to play BJ since I had my arms on the table when the dealer was washing the cards. :laugh:

aslan

BJLFS said:
I had a ploppy say to me that I didn't know how to play BJ since I had my arms on the table when the dealer was washing the cards. :laugh:
I had a ploppy pseudo-counter woman betting large money tell me if I did not change to one hand, she would have to. When I played one hand, she played two, and when I played two hands, she played one. She justified her request because in her words "Big money [hers] plays." She asked me on several occasions not to hit A/6 against a dealer 4, 5, or 6, as if doing so was disrupting the flow of cards and bringing her bad luck. She placed dealer bets on everyone's hands, I suppose to keep the sacred flow strong and in her favor. Because she knew enough about counting to be dangerous to the house, there was a constant huddle of "suits" whispering and casting stares her way. Apparently, the eye determined she was playing a dangerous but losing game and they allowed her to continue for hours. I had to leave before seeing the outcome of this farce. It was amusing to say the least.

aslan said:
I had a ploppy pseudo-counter woman betting large money tell me if I did not change to one hand, she would have to. When I played one hand, she played two, and when I played two hands, she played one. She justified her request because in her words "Big money [hers] plays." She asked me on several occasions not to hit A/6 against a dealer 4, 5, or 6, as if doing so was disrupting the flow of cards and bringing her bad luck. She placed dealer bets on everyone's hands, I suppose to keep the sacred flow strong and in her favor. Because she knew enough about counting to be dangerous to the house, there was a constant huddle of "suits" whispering and casting stares her way. Apparently, the eye determined she was playing a dangerous but losing game and they allowed her to continue for hours. I had to leave before seeing the outcome of this farce. It was amusing to say the least.
I think I played with her. It was so funny. When I felt lucky I would go to two hands and she would drop to one, when I felt unlucky she would eat cards until I felt lucky again.

21forme

aslan said:
She asked me on several occasions not to hit A/6 against a dealer 4, 5, or 6, as if doing so was disrupting the flow of cards and bringing her bad luck.
The answer to one of these types is say, "You're welcome to buy my hand and play it any way you want." Of course, the charge will be 2x your bet since you expect to win.

kewljason

21forme said:
The answer to one of these types is say, "You're welcome to buy my hand and play it any way you want." Of course, the charge will be 2x your bet since you expect to win.
I don't even get into that discussion any more. Use too, but just not worth it. It is a lesson I learned from Qfit. Someone posted something about other players at the table and Norm's response was "there's other people at the table?" :laugh: He was probably half joking, but I adopted that mentality right then and there. I don't answer them. I don't engage in small talk. I keep to myself. (just like a typical counter...:laugh:)

Every once in a while when I am being polite I will say thank you after unsolicited advice, but in most cases I do the opposite of what they say so that good will doesn't last long.

aslan

tthree said:
I think I played with her. It was so funny. When I felt lucky I would go to two hands and she would drop to one, when I felt unlucky she would eat cards until I felt lucky again.
It was a few years back at The Orleans in Las Vegas after hours, if that's any help.

pogostick

aslan said:
. I use the old sign laungage trick to one lady telling me the same thing. I pointed to my ears making a funny sound. The dealer laughed ,she then chastized the dealer for making fun of me.

aslan

pogostick said:
. I use the old sign laungage trick to one lady telling me the same thing. I pointed to my ears making a funny sound. The dealer laughed ,she then chastized the dealer for making fun of me.
:laugh: Good one!

aslan

I had a ploppy on my left this week double down on a hard 12. The dealer of course cried out, "Double down on a hard 12." The guy drew a 9 and never said a word. WTF!? :laugh:

The "Blackjack know-it-all"

Had a guy last night that was just blowing steam out his ass all night

I was just back counting, as I really didn't want to play next to this guy. He had just upped his bet from $5 to about $40 (DD H17, good rules game) count happened to be roughly True -7 :laugh:
The know-it-all was playing 3rd base and pulled a 9-2. the poor sap sitting at first base that was subject to this know-it-all's criticism all night had a 2-6. And the know-it-all basically threatened him to not hit his hard 8 against dealer 7 because "he wanted the 10 that was coming up next" naturally, 1st base stood on his hard 8. Know-it-all gets his double down card (face down) dealer flips a 4 for a total of 11, and everyone just knows whats coming next, dealer pulls the paint for a perfect 21. Know-it-all flips his face down double down card and gets a 7. $80 down the drain. What a pro he was :joker:

jaygruden

aslan said:
I had a ploppy on my left this week double down on a hard 12. The dealer of course cried out, "Double down on a hard 12." The guy drew a 9 and never said a word. WTF!? :laugh:
I am playing 3rd base at a store I used to frequent but had not been there for a few months. The PB recognizes me and comes over to talk. I play unrated but she has seen me enough to know who I am and we've chatted before.....anyway, she is standing next to me and talking to me non-stop for about 15 minutes. I feel like a clown at the circus juggling bowling pins....trying to keep the count, answer this PB's trivial questions about what I've been doing and listen to her drivel on about God knows what, order a cup of coffee, shooing people away from trying to jump in next to me as I am playing 2 spots from the 3rd base position, and make playing decisions on 2 hands. It was the most distracted I've ever been at the table.

So I am dealt a 7/5 on one hand vs dealers showing a 10 during a moderately plus count. Under all the distractions I misread my hand and believe I have an 11. I push my money out to double and she yells out "double hard 12" as she simultaneously flips me a 9 for a 21 before I had the chance to catch the error and wave it off. The table, the dealer and the PB are shocked. The PB then asks me "Do you always double on hard 12?" I say "No, I actually made a mistake and misread my hand." She walks away and within 5 minutes there are new suits in the pit watching my play from every angle they can get a vantage point.

I cashed and hightailed it out of there. How ironic that making an error that looks like a ploppy move is what almost gets me nabbed.:laugh:

aslan

jaygruden said:
I am playing 3rd base at a store I used to frequent but had not been there for a few months. The PB recognizes me and comes over to talk. I play unrated but she has seen me enough to know who I am and we've chatted before.....anyway, she is standing next to me and talking to me non-stop for about 15 minutes. I feel like a clown at the circus juggling bowling pins....trying to keep the count, answer this PB's trivial questions about what I've been doing and listen to her drivel on about God knows what, order a cup of coffee, shooing people away from trying to jump in next to me as I am playing 2 spots from the 3rd base position, and make playing decisions on 2 hands. It was the most distracted I've ever been at the table.

So I am dealt a 7/5 on one hand vs dealers showing a 10 during a moderately plus count. Under all the distractions I misread my hand and believe I have an 11. I push my money out to double and she yells out "double hard 12" as she simultaneously flips me a 9 for a 21 before I had the chance to catch the error and wave it off. The table, the dealer and the PB are shocked. The PB then asks me "Do you always double on hard 12?" I say "No, I actually made a mistake and misread my hand." She walks away and within 5 minutes there are new suits in the pit watching my play from every angle they can get a vantage point.

I cashed and hightailed it out of there. How ironic that making an error that looks like a ploppy move is what almost gets me nabbed.:laugh:
I had something similar happen, only I didn't get the heat. I had a hard 12 and the dealer had a 4, 5, or 6 (that detail slips my mind). I am saying to myself, "Don't hit." So what do I do? Automatically, my hand pushes in an equal amount for double down! What!? I did it unconsciously. What the heck was I thinking? Fact is, I wasn't thinking. I, too, caught a nine. I can't remember what I said as I raked in my winnings. Something like, "That was a mistake!" :eek: Dumb luck? A higher power? Or that drivel about the unconscious mind being a super computer? Take your pick. My reaction was, "Pay attention! Focus!" and some PTL, as well. :laugh:

21forme

21gunsalute said:
I've had people get mad at me for surrendering 17 v A because I'm changing the "flow of cards". :rolleyes:
How does that change the flow? You wouldn't hit, anyway.

I get more grief from dealers than players when surrendering 17 v A.

Friendo

21forme said:
I also "enjoy" the dealers who fall into the habit of playing my hand for me, and blast right past my 17 to the next guy.

There has to be a good line in this situation. Something like "You'll take my cards and return half my bet or I'll rip off your head and **** down your neck!", but more concise and less likely to draw the scrutiny of the pit and the security goons.

aslan

21forme said:

You didn't change the flow, you put a hex on the flow. You disturbed the powers. Man, the blackjack gods are going crazy cuz of you! We're a team. we all have to work together! Ain't you never played blackjack before? It's a team sport! Now the vibe is ruined. Fawgetaboutit, man! Go find somebody else's table to screw up! :flame: :mad: :laugh:

Gamblor

21forme said:

Your thinking too logically and rationally. Ploppies don't think that way.