$25.70 cab fare from the Orleans to airport!

Billy C1

Yeah, it happened to me last Thursday. I've long known about the scenic routes inbound and the words "no tunnel" seem to alleviate that problem but this is first time I've had it happen on the way out.
Needless to say, he got a good ass chewing and no tip. By coincidence, as he pulled up to the terminal he was stopped by a "taxicab authority" vehicle that was equipped with lights and siren like a cop car.
I thought about complaining to this "authority" but was so pissed I could hardly talk.
Result would probably have been like complaining to the gaming commission about being flat betted, I'm guessing.

BillyC1

shadroch

How much should it have been? Is the surcharge both ways now/ I seem to recall reading it is.
BTW- You could have rented a car for three days for a few dollars more.
My 17 day rental is $198, all included.

The Chaperone

shadroch said:
How much should it have been? Is the surcharge both ways now/ I seem to recall reading it is.
I've stiffed a cabby when he didn't go the way I told him and ran up a big fare. Admittedly this would be hard to do when going to the airport, but I was going from the airport to my apartment at the time. He should have known better. I was obviously not a typical tourist.

Billy C1

shadroch said:
Surcharge is still inbound only. Orleans is quite close to airport. Fare should have been half or less.

ChefJJ

shadroch said:
I'm with Shadroch...ever since I rented a car a few Vegas trips back, I wouldn't have it any other way. Got a 4-day rental coming up for $100, which is well worth it.

Trip to and from the airport, a couple trips downtown, a couple more off strip, and one out to the desert = well worth a hundo.

good luck :joker:

pieinthesky

Renting car

I agree with the other posters that renting a car is the way to go.
I've done well with Hotwire waiting until shortly before my trip.
Especially if you are in LV for a limited time, it really pays to plan each day's travel in advance with a map (paper or online) and it pays to have a GPS or GPS-enabled smart phone with you in case you get lost - both can save hours of playing time, especially if you are not familiar with the area.
I'm in LV now. It's been raining since I got here, and I'm really glad I don't have to stand outside waiting for buses or getting in and out of cabs. Garage parking for me!
If you travel light, don't want to rent a car and are really on a budget, you can take public transportation (from level zero at the airport) to downtown. The bus also stops at Tropicana, Flamingo and other cross streets where you can transfer to buses for the Strip. I haven't done it in a while, but my recollection is that service is pretty frequent and the trip doesn't take too much longer than a cab ride. Of course, once you reach your destination, you're stuck without a car.
Finally, again for light travelers without cars returning to the airport, I've found it easy to share a cab from the Strip (and its cost) with strangers by just asking along the taxi line at any major strip property. Someone usually will say yes if you don't look too scruffy. If the person is near the front of the line, that's an additional time-saver.

HockeXpert

shadroch said:
Shadroch:

I'd like to know who you rent from and where you p/u your vehicle. Do you take a shutlle and pick up your car off site to avoid the a/p fees? I get what I consider very cheap rental rates all the time out there but never that low.

That's less than $12/day!!!:toast:

ChefJJ

HockeXpert said:
Shadroch:

I'd like to know who you rent from and where you p/u your vehicle. Do you take a shutlle and pick up your car off site to avoid the a/p fees? I get what I consider very cheap rental rates all the time out there but never that low.

FWIW, I've read quite a bit of bad reviews about Fox rental who is actually located out of the airport complex and appears to be typically a good 20-30% less than the competition (most of which can be attributed to the lack of airport fees). But seeing some of the bad experiences has scared me off.

Maybe someone else around here who has used an off-property company like Fox has had good experiences.

good luck:joker:

shadroch

HockeXpert said:
Shadroch:

Priceline.Kept putting in bids for $7 a day until it got accepted.

I always go Trop to paradise pretty much always unless im down in henderson for some reason. I have friends that prefer to go 15 to 215. They think there way is faster i think my way is faster. But both routes are very dependent on the time of day. but Construction the 15/215 interchange has made things a mess latley so IMO he clearly went the shitty way.

aslan

Billy C1 said:
Yeah, it happened to me last Thursday. I've long known about the scenic routes inbound and the words "no tunnel" seem to alleviate that problem but this is first time I've had it happen on the way out.
Needless to say, he got a good ass chewing and no tip. By coincidence, as he pulled up to the terminal he was stopped by a "taxicab authority" vehicle that was equipped with lights and siren like a cop car.
I thought about complaining to this "authority" but was so pissed I could hardly talk.
Result would probably have been like complaining to the gaming commission about being flat betted, I'm guessing.

BillyC1
As I recall, I paid less than $20 for a trip to the airport from two miles further North of the Orleans.

Coach R

shadroch said:
I was in vegas in Oct. stayed at Orleans, cab ride was $11.50. sounds like you took the long way

moo321

Ok, how should cabbies be getting us to hotels on the strip? Is there some way they should go, or not go? Like, what directions should I be requesting?

Billy C1

moo321 said:
Ok, how should cabbies be getting us to hotels on the strip? Is there some way they should go, or not go? Like, what directions should I be requesting?
Make it clear that they get a tip ONLY IF they don't take the scenic route.

BillyC1

JulieCA

moo321 said:
Always helps if you know what the fare should cost you. If you're not sure, ask the concierge at the hotel - then let the cabbie know you're aware that the usual route should run in that range.

Billy C1

The games

Some drivers will play games like telling you there's construction on the normal route, etc. Pretend like you made the same trip yesterday and display some street smarts.

BillyC1

shadroch

moo321 said:
From the airport, you do not want to take the tunnel. Make that quite clear.