Radar detectors

Not Just a Law Issue

Automatic Monkey said:
The problem is the difference between the safe speed and the legal speed. Speed traps are revenue-raising devices, not safety devices. It is a perversion of law.
I imagine if you plot a graph on damage to car and injury/loss of life and speed it would show the faster the speed the worse the accident.

I think I heard a statistic once that if 2 cars going 50? or 75? mph have a head on collision the result is near certain death.:joker::whip:

Also, general car wear and tear increases with speed, cutting the gains you think you are achieving by speeding

Ticket costs and time
potential court costs and time
radar detector cost and time to use
stress of fatigue of speeding

I have been in a car accident where the car was totaled. I had to be pried out with modest injuries. It was something I don't want to experience again.

aslan

blackjack avenger said:
I imagine if you plot a graph on damage to car and injury/loss of life and speed it would show the faster the speed the worse the accident.

I think I heard a statistic once that if 2 cars going 50? or 75? mph have a head on collision the result is near certain death.:joker::whip:

Also, general car wear and tear increases with speed, cutting the gains you think you are achieving by speeding

Ticket costs and time

I have been in a car accident where the car was totaled. I had to be pried out with modest injuries. It was something I don't want to experience again.
Being in an accident will certainly give you a new perspective on driving. The faster you go, the greater the potential for harm in an accident. That doesn't mean we should drive 5 mph, which might cause more accidents than prevent. Also, don't you think that going with the general flow is safer than being the one driver who slows down making everyone pass? I don't say go with the fastest drivers, but with the general flow. I have seen I-95 cruising at 75; actually, that's the norm. If you went slower, everyone would be passing. At some point, maybe 75 in a 65 mph zone, you might want to draw a line.

As for costs, one has to consider all the costs. For some, time is money. Everyone has his own priorities.

And fatigue? Some vehicles are just purring along at 70-75, others would do better to never exceed 55. It's always a bad idea to drive when you're over-tired. Who doesn't ignore that one. But I always make a point of pulling over for a power nap if I get overly tired. I have the option to turn the wheel over to my wife, but that thought scares the h### out of me! :eek:

blackjack avenger said:

Ticket costs and time

Two cars hitting head-on at 30 MPH brings about a really good chance for death.

So what's the point, should we all drive at 5 MPH? Time you spend driving is time taken off your life that you don't get back at the end. It has value. In the case of an AP, it has cash value.

Obviously there is a point where your speed is unsafe but that is not the same for every driver, car, and condition. If the speed limit is 60 and conditions are right I'm going to drive 80 and try to not get caught.