Anchor Play?

In John May's "Getting the Edge at Blackjack", he talks about team play with 'anchors' - These are minimal bettor players who sit in early and late position tracking Aces and Fives. There job is help to 'steer' the good cards to the player and prevent the dealer from getting the good cards by making strange deviations from basic strategy.

I am interested to learn more about this technique. Has anyone else tried it or advocate it? Is it worth the effort? What additional advantage could one expect to gain from employing this technique??

FLASH1296

"Ace Location" and "Ace Steering" is a VERY advanced technique that almost nobody has ever been successful at.

It is mostly a matter of academic interest.

EasyRhino

I wasn't aware that John May had written any books with GOOD information, so that's surprising.

The first prerequisite is that you truly, really, identify the good cards (usually aces and tens). After that, yeah, you can make some unusual deviations to steer a good card to your hand, or steer a possible bust card to the dealer.

But I wonder if May was just writing about a voodoo phenomenon? Tracking individual cards is not easy. But there's a LOT of bad players who think they have a mystical power over the Flow of the cards if they sit at third base.

For an entertaining and slightly fictional account, you can read Breaking Vegas by Ben Mezrich.

FLASH1296

Get the Edge at Blackjack by John May (2001) ...

... is a skinny paperback book of limited value.

It just touches on a wide range of topics without going into any depth at all about anything.

Not recommended.

Nazgul

FLASH1296 said:
It just touches on a wide range of topics without going into any depth at all about anything.
It does go into detail on a few techniques. Unfortunately the details are incorrect or misleading. :rolleyes: