Barack Obama tells Americans 'don't go to Las Vegas'

aslan

muppet said:
aslan for president!
The real aslan (my dog) is half blind, deaf, nearly toothless, hardly able to walk, lacking in bowel and bladder control, and almost 20 years old (equivalent to 100 to 140 human years). I'm not all that far from his condition. So, if you like my ideas, then I say, "Muppet for president!"

Thunder

The reason behind the high unemployment rate

A lot of it has to do with the fact that we've outsourced so many jobs to China and India and other countries. As a result there is hardly a manufacturing industry in this country. How many times have you called up your credit card company or some other place and you get an Indian speaker on the other line?
Until we find something to replace the lost jobs, I fear the unemployment rate is never going to be as low as it once was.

aslan

Thunder said:
A lot of it has to do with the fact that we've outsourced so many jobs to China and India and other countries. As a result there is hardly a manufacturing industry in this country. How many times have you called up your credit card company or some other place and you get an Indian speaker on the other line?
Until we find something to replace the lost jobs, I fear the unemployment rate is never going to be as low as it once was.
Which means we have to cherish what precious little bit of manufacturing and other jobs we still have left in this country, not kick them [business] in the teeth and tell them they have to tow the line because they are the cause of all out woes. Business cannot bail this country out if business cannot prosper, and so far, business, other than banks and certain related companies, have been set up to fail. They're afraid to hire new employees, they're laying off existing employees, they're afraid to spend money, they're afraid to expand, they're waiting for the other shoe to drop (higher taxes , expiration of the Bush tax cuts, and high inflation). "Trickle down" is better than being dry as a bone. John Kennedy knew that, and so did Ronald Reagan. Until someone comes up with a better idea, and trust me, Obama has not, we need to follow what worked in the past, not abandon all hope and throw ourselves on the mercy of the fates, or worse yet, on what has failed everywhere it's been tried. England now has a top tier income tax rate of 50% and a value added tax (national sales tax) of 17.5%, which will tax whatever you have left over to spend after the income tax. And it will go even worse here, because our debt has grown higher than England ever imagined.