So, what are the most common BJ game rules?

Hi there! I'm obviously new to the site and new to learning how to play Blackjack properly. I certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew as I plan on working my way to card counting and just wanted to know the most common rule set there is out there. I'm sure it depends on where you go so just to help narrow the possibilities down, I recently moved to California and Las Vegas is the closest place people head to for some gambling.

Thanks a bunch! :cat:

Last edited:

Coach R

13 of Spades said:
Hi there! I'm obviously new to the site and new to learning how to play Blackjack properly. I certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew as I plan on working my way to card counting and just wanted to know the most common rule set there is out there. I'm sure it depends on where you go so just to help narrow the possibilities down, I recently moved to California and Las Vegas is the closest place people head to for some gambling.

Vegas has lots of different little rules to better their edge. Mainly, only play 3-2 B.J. (not 6-5 ) and look for good penetration. some won't allow re-splitting aces, restrictions on doubling, no D.D. after splitting in some places. You should practice on line untill you memorize the basic strat.This site has a training game that helps.

QFIT

13 of Spades said:

See Modern Blackjack pages 157 through 168.

EmeraldCityBJ

13 of Spades said:

Start out assuming dealer hits soft 17, you can double any two cards, and you can double after split.

Next, learn which hands to surrender if late surrender is offered.

Lastly, note the differences if the dealer stands on soft 17, you cannot double after split, or if there are double-down restrictions when you encounter such a game.

Since you're just starting out, I think it's unlikely you'll be playing a "stand on soft 17" game since these typically only exist with higher limits and have more demanding bankroll requirements.

Wow, just from three replies it shows that I have to learn more than I thought. :laugh: I'll be sure to read those pages from Modern Blackjack as well as burn some hours away on the Trainer. Thanks for the help. :)

Also, is there a thread for a glossary on here with acronyms? Some terms I don't know, others I've heard but not clear on the meaning. If not, I'll just float around on goggle.

Last edited:

AussiePlayer

13 of Spades said:
Wow, just from three replies it shows that I have to learn more than I thought. :laugh: I'll be sure to read those pages from Modern Blackjack as well as burn some hours away on the Trainer. Thanks for the help. :)

Also, is there a thread for a glossary on here with acronyms? Some terms I don't know, others I've heard but not clear on the meaning. If not, I'll just float around on goggle.
The answer to your question is here in post #3, but I'm sure the rest of the thread will answer more questions for you.

AussiePlayer said:
The answer to your question is here in post #3, but I'm sure the rest of the thread will answer more questions for you.

Thanks AussiePlayer! All of that reading will help out. And ya know, I've never seen 21. The first time I even heard of card counting was from playing the second Sly Cooper! :laugh: