trip report

Zerg

tthree said:
You do realize who it is that places the cut card. If you tip modestly with success WHILE you are playing and the dealer has a clue that you have a better chance of success if he cuts deep then he may be more inclined to give a favorable cut. Part of being an AP is learning how to work the dealer. It is a big part of getting better penetration. It works some of the time but when it works well you really have made yourself a great opportunity.
Disagree. Most dealers, I would guess 19/20 don't know/care at all about what you are doing. Cut card placement doesn't have to do with tips the freat majority of the time IMO. With only a couple exceptions I can think of, I get nothing in EV from my tips. It is a social norm I follow.

Zoomie, I like your idea of 1% up to $25. Paddy, maybe I should stiff on big wins, like any win over $3000. I had 2 10k wins this last trip. One time I tipped about $100, the other time a little over $200. In both cases the dealer was polite, but clearly disappointed. Neither of us were happy.

Actually what I should do is tip exactly how much I want to tip in a way that maximizes happiness. So If I want to tip 1% of my trip wins I should stiff most of the time. What I consider reasonable is never enough to make most dealers happy. Then maybe tip the whole $40 on a $200 win to a dealer I like at the end of the trip. We would both be happy with that transaction. I bet I would get a very genuine "Thank You" if I left a nice tip like that to a dealer i had a rapport with.

Tipping is only part of working the dealer. Making their time seem to go faster with interesting conversation or humor. Common interests often go far especially with a foreign dealer who may not feel an attachment to many in this country. Research some foreign countries so you can speak intelligently with a native of that country. Make some references about the cut card placement in a non counter kind of way. You would be surprised what you can get them to do. I have had them ask me if the placement as OK. Like I said it doesn't work that frequently but when it does you really have developed something.

tip math?

One has an expected EV of $30 an hr. In the real world; because of variables, let's say anywhere from $25 to $35 an hr. If they average $10 an hour in tips they are greatly raising the N0 and potentially their ror.

I think the OP mentioned tipping 1% of win, but it comes out to 7% of overall profit? He is cutting deeply into his wins which show up in overall play.

Some tip guidelines?:
Never when losing
Very rare or never on modest wins
$25 for med. stakes or $100 for high stakes max tips and this needs to be for home run shoes.
The above is tipping just for service and not for improved play

If one tips for a certain play or moment:
A player has a 3% advantage, bets $100 & tips $5 on bet. The expectation is only $3. He would have been better to not make the play.

Now if a $5 tip gets you $20 in EV that is good.

The subjective part of tipping, one can do whatever they want with their money.

paddywhack

paddywhack said:
Generally speaking, unless you're getting something for it, tipping is neg ev and we all know it.
tthree said:
You do realize who it is that places the cut card. If you tip modestly with success WHILE you are playing and the dealer has a clue that you have a better chance of success if he cuts deep then he may be more inclined to give a favorable cut. Part of being an AP is learning how to work the dealer. It is a big part of getting better penetration. It works some of the time but when it works well you really have made yourself a great opportunity.
You seemed to miss this sentence from my reply.

creeping panther said:
Pay attention too and respect Paddy,,,,he is in the top 10 of straight counters playing the game today.

Four others are also on this site.:cool:;)

CP
Good to know. I've been trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Any other insights as to who shouldn't blow away in the breeze?

Machinist

strait counting

I usually only do a small bit of strait counting, usually about 1am to maybe 2am.
I mean it does take awhile to straighten and organize all those 100$ bills. 20's just slow things down too.....
Then ya gotta stack, and rubber band into "bricks".
And then there are the chips you had to briskly exit with cause it got a little hot in the store:p:p
:):):):)

Mac