Radar detectors

fwb

As I became more involved with steady AP blackjack play, I found myself driving a considerable amount more than I used to. Since I was driving probably 10x more than before and I was bringing in extra cash, it naturally followed to upgrade my ride a bit. One of the best investments I made was a high-end radar detector ($400). I figure it's paid for itself in the extra playing time I get from being able to cruise comfortably ~10-15mph+ over the speed limit.

I'm reading You've Got Heat by Barfarkle, and with each trip log he usually starts by talking about how he races from LA to Vegas at 90+ MPH, constantly trying to beat his personal record for the road trip (3.5 hr I think). It made me sad that he got pulled over a few times over the years and I felt like he could have really used one of these great inventions which would have paid for itself in avoided tickets alone.

Lately speed-trap countermeasures have become another obsessive hobby of mine, probably because like AP blackjack play, radar detectors are a 100% legal way of getting a step up on "the man".

Current countermeasures I have installed in my car (all completely legal):
-Valentine One radar detector (http://www.valentineone.com/)
-Garmin Nuvi w/ Trapster installed (free real-time speed-trap GPS database: http://www.trapster.com/)
-Uniden CB radio (used to communicate with others on the road)

A good resource for anyone interested in this hobby is http://www.radardetector.net/forums/

Anyone else into this stuff? :)

21forme

I've had a Valentine One for years. Great investment. It's actually about 98% legal. A few states ban them. I believe VA is one. I forget the other(s). CT maybe. Personally, I believe it's an unconstitutional law for a state to ban radio reception, as that's under the auspices of the FCC, a Federal agency. However, I don't think there's been a test case. Another way to look at it is I'd rather get a ticket for having a radar detector than one for speeding, as my insurance won't go up for being caught with a radar detector.;) Also, another advantage of the Valentine One is it is invisible to the radar detector detectors.

21forme

Depends where you live and the roads.

Where I live, they still use radar. The laser is more focused, but if on a straight-away, you're still going to get some signal scattered off other vehicles before he points at you.

The Valentine One detects LIDAR.

fwb

johndoe said:
Do these really help that much nowadays, with the proliferation of LIDAR? That's pretty much all I see these days.
I never face LIDAR during my normal drives, but there are legal ways to defeat laser as well (jammers).

aslan

Is there any countermeasure against speed and traffic light cameras? I've had two tickets in the past year, one for making a right turn on red during a snow storm in NYC, and one for speeding on a deserted parkway in Wash, DC on my way to the airport in Baltimore (I took a shortcut through DC).

fwb said:
I never face LIDAR during my normal drives, but there are legal ways to defeat laser as well (jammers).
No, radar jammers are not legal! No civilian may broadcast a signal intended to interfere with radio communications. The same legal principles that allow you to receive radar with a radar detector also allow the police to use their radar without interference.

fwb

Is there any countermeasure against speed and traffic light cameras? I've had two tickets in the past year, one for making a right turn on red during a snow storm in NYC, and one for speeding on a deserted parkway in Wash, DC on my way to the airport in Baltimore (I took a shortcut through DC).
Trapster. (free GPS database add-on)

Automatic Monkey said:
No, radar jammers are not legal! No civilian may broadcast a signal intended to interfere with radio communications. The same legal principles that allow you to receive radar with a radar detector also allow the police to use their radar without interference.
Laser is not radio or radar.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html

johndoe

I'm pretty sure LIDAR is using IR pulsed lasers, and this would be very difficult to jam. The power levels you'd need for a jammer would be very high, probably outside of the range of current LED technology. At least for now.

It might be possible to get an absorbing paint or plate cover, but I'm not sure this will work all that well, either.

As for detecting it, some radar detectors will detect LIDAR, but only if the laser is pointed at (or near) the detector, making it too late by then. There isn't enough scatter to detect at a real distance, unlike with radar. I'd be very surprised if this was useful.

Jack_Black

aslan said:
I don't think this will work for speeding cameras, but for traffic cameras, I take off my front license plate. I noticed my first traffic cam ticket IDed me by front plate, driver's pic, and time stamps. Ever since taking off the front plate, I just laugh and pose for the cameras before I suspect the flash to go off. I've dodged 4 tickets thus far. Cops don't really bug about not having the front plate. Unless they're really bored. You're mileage may vary.

aslan said:
I have a Cheetah C100 GPS. It gives audio alerts as you approach these cameras giving you a heads up. I love it.

Rethinking Things

I admit I have gotten my fair share of tickets in the past when driving a lot. However, I came to the conclusion that a car accident is very negative EV. Especially if you were to hurt another like a child. Do you have children that would like you in their lives? Also, doesn't excessive speed hurt fuel efficiency?

So the potential $ cost of an accident
potential to hurt yourself and others
hurting fuel efficieny
increased wear on vehicle
cost of those various radar detectors
the added stress of driving fast/illegially

it seems a negateve ev play:joker::whip:

blackjack avenger said:
I admit I have gotten my fair share of tickets in the past when driving a lot. However, I came to the conclusion that a car accident is very negative EV. Especially if you were to hurt another like a child. Do you have children that would like you in their lives? Also, doesn't excessive speed hurt fuel efficiency?

So the potential $ cost of an accident
potential to hurt yourself and others
hurting fuel efficieny
increased wear on vehicle
cost of those various radar detectors
the added stress of driving fast/illegially

it seems a negateve ev play:joker::whip:
The problem is the difference between the safe speed and the legal speed. Speed traps are revenue-raising devices, not safety devices. It is a perversion of law.

aslan

suicyco maniac said:
I have a Cheetah C100 GPS. It gives audio alerts as you approach these cameras giving you a heads up. I love it.
Thanks. I need something like that, although I'll shop around because I already have two GPS units.

Canceler

Automatic Monkey said:
The problem is the difference between the safe speed and the legal speed.
I’ve become convinced that some drivers think the speed limit should be however fast they can go and still keep their car on the road. I have a problem with that. :(

aslan

Jack_Black said:
I don't think this will work for speeding cameras, but for traffic cameras, I take off my front license plate. I noticed my first traffic cam ticket IDed me by front plate, driver's pic, and time stamps. Ever since taking off the front plate, I just laugh and pose for the cameras before I suspect the flash to go off. I've dodged 4 tickets thus far. Cops don't really bug about not having the front plate. Unless they're really bored. You're mileage may vary.
If you're in New Mexico or Arizona, you're okay, but most states require two plates, including the two that concern me, Nevada and Virginia. :(

moo321

aslan said:
Contest them.

aslan

Canceler said:
I’ve become convinced that some drivers think the speed limit should be however fast they can go and still keep their car on the road. I have a problem with that. :(
I see a difference between speeding in such a way as to endanger the lives and safety
of others, and getting a camera speeding ticket on a deserted freeway traveling at a speed safe for prevailing conditions. I doubt if a a police officer present would have given me a ticket. :(