Insurance Play

The other day I was at the table and the dealer flopped an ace. It was a shoe game and the dealer was really fast. I was still counting the cards when the insurance bet was asked for. I immediately said, "Wait, wait," while I finished the count and then figured for TC. It only took a second ,but I knew I wouldn't finish before insurance was closed and the count was going to be high enough to probably take the insurance. Well, it was, I made the bet and the dealer had blackjack. Everyone at the table said "ohh" and "Good bet" and the like.

This is not the first time this has happened, in fact it happens almost every time there is a close descion to take insurance and the dealer deals like lightning. I'm always afraid of heat when this happens, but have not experienced any real attention for this in all the years I've been playing. I gues I'm just a bit too slow sometimes.

If in doubt take your insurance and hold it beside your bet. The dealer won't close it until you let go of your bet or take it back. This way you have some time to make your decision.

Nynefingers

I've also said I want insurance then taken some time to figure out if I want full insurance or just $5. If the count is close enough to be thinking about it, that $5 bet when the TC is really +2.5 or whatever shouldn't be hurting me too much.

Sea

Seaclusion said:
The other day I was at the table and the dealer flopped an ace. It was a shoe game and the dealer was really fast. I was still counting the cards when the insurance bet was asked for. I immediately said, "Wait, wait," while I finished the count and then figured for TC. It only took a second ,but I knew I wouldn't finish before insurance was closed and the count was going to be high enough to probably take the insurance. Well, it was, I made the bet and the dealer had blackjack. Everyone at the table said "ohh" and "Good bet" and the like.

This is not the first time this has happened, in fact it happens almost every time there is a close descion to take insurance and the dealer deals like lightning. I'm always afraid of heat when this happens, but have not experienced any real attention for this in all the years I've been playing. I gues I'm just a bit too slow sometimes.
I agree that can be a problem, I have been burned by super fast dealers and cost me some good money. You have received good advice above, I also often say "hold on there", rifffle my chips for a second or two, then place the bet or wave off,,,no sweat. You and I have something in common, we are getting older and slower:(;)

CP

bj bob

Seaclusion said:
This is not the first time this has happened, in fact it happens almost every time there is a close decision to take insurance and the dealer deals like lightning. I'm always afraid of heat when this happens, but have not experienced any real attention for this in all the years I've been playing. I guess I'm just a bit too slow sometimes.
A good rule of thumb for situations like this is if you're in in "ballpark" where you need to calculate the correct TC play then simply let the size of your bet dictate your call. Take insurance on a max or near max bet, but let it slide otherwise.

shadroch

One of the many benefits of tipping and or being nice to a dealer is that they will usually play at your speed. Why would you play at a table where the dealer is too fast for you?

shadroch said:
One of the many benefits of tipping and or being nice to a dealer is that they will usually play at your speed. Why would you play at a table where the dealer is too fast for you?

In my yute (to quote Joe Pesci from My Cousin Vinny) there wasn't a dealer alive that I couldn't keep up with. That was a long time ago. Now, a medium speed dealer is all I can keep up with. Another reason I always take third base when I can, lots of time to count and convert.

bj bob said:
A good rule of thumb for situations like this is if you're in in "ballpark" where you need to calculate the correct TC play then simply let the size of your bet dictate your call. Take insurance on a max or near max bet, but let it slide otherwise.

Looking at the size of my bet gives the count at the end of the last hand. Potentially, with a full table, thirteen more cards are out and I try to base my insurance bet on the most up to the minute count. Thirteen or even seven cards can change the count significantly.

kewljason

shadroch said:
How can the dealer be too fast for you? It is the player that controls the speed of the game not the dealer. It's rare that a dealer goes faster than I would like. (the faster the better) but in the event that they do, I just slow them down. When they breeze past my hand assuming my play, I just give a 'whoa", like I am considering making a different play.

Stop them once or twice like you are considering hitting a 14 vs dealer 6, before waving them off and they will stop taking you for granite. :cool:

Sucker

kewljason said:
Stop them once or twice like you are considering hitting a 14 vs dealer 6, before waving them off and they will stop taking you for granite. :cool:
Absolutely. It's YOUR responsibility to slow down a dealer who has a tendency to "blow by" the players. Kewljasons' method will put them on notice that you are liable to do ANYTHING. Another idea that I use,along the same line of thought, is; when the dealer gets an ace up and you do NOT intend to take insurance; have insurance money in your hand and time it so that you try to take insurance a second or two AFTER she's checked (and DOESN'T have BJ), all the while loudly saying "I want to take insurance!". She'll then push your money back and say "I've already checked". I instruct my BP's in this method every time we encounter a "blow by" dealer. From this point on and for the rest of the day, she WILL always give you enough time. It has never failed for us.

Meistro

Need a few seconds to figure out if the TC is 2.8 or 3.2? Ask for change, or if you are betting chunky anything ask the dealer to count down your bet, and then give you change.

Sucker

Sucker said:
Absolutely. It's YOUR responsibility to slow down a dealer who has a tendency to "blow by" the players. Kewljasons' method will put them on notice that you are liable to do ANYTHING. Another idea that I use,along the same line of thought, is; when the dealer gets an ace up and you do NOT intend to take insurance; have insurance money in your hand and time it so that you try to take insurance a second or two AFTER she's checked (and DOESN'T have BJ), all the while loudly saying "I want to take insurance!". She'll then push your money back and say "I've already checked". I instruct my BP's in this method every time we encounter a "blow by" dealer. From this point on and for the rest of the day, she WILL always give you enough time. It has never failed for us.
Nice one!

I will remeber that.

CP

Wise Won

sagefr0g said:
yeah, really dam it's good when you can learn new stuff!!!!
Such a great site, we learn new things every day!:grin:

Just think when at the BASH we attend Machinist seminar on machine AP play,,can't wait for that!!:cool::)

Looking so forward to seeing you and Y again, and wearing that great ring!!:band2::toast:

Life can be good in the 60's:laugh:;)

CP

sagefr0g

creeping panther said:
Such a great site, we learn new things every day!:grin:

Just think when at the BASH we attend Machinist seminar on machine AP play,,can't wait for that!!:cool::)

Looking so forward to seeing you and Y again, and wearing that great ring!!:band2::toast:

Life can be good in the 60's:laugh:;)

CP
thanks, Stealthy Won (your grandmother named you well), the feeling is mutual.
lol, heh, heh yea the sixties.
machine AP play, lol, who'd of ever thunk it. not a clueless guy like me. what a wake up call!

but yeah, always something new to learn.

just a little common sense, insurance plays always blowing past you? simple, just hold your bet out there like your trying to make up your mind, now you got all the time in the world.

so much for the idea that there is no room for discipline, and thought in this stuff. more like it is the paramount part once you get past the kool aid.