South Lake Tahoe - Harveys

I'm planning to visit SLT next year but I'm not familiar with the rules up there. I have only played in Vegas. I will stay at Harvey's but I won't be playing much there for obvious reasons. Can anyone tell me the rules in SLT and the best places to play? Thanks!!

bj bob

ordonezo said:
I'm planning to visit SLT next year but I'm not familiar with the rules up there. I have only played in Vegas. I will stay at Harvey's but I won't be playing much there for obvious reasons. Can anyone tell me the rules in SLT and the best places to play? Thanks!!
Best place to play these days at SLT is Reno. Take US 50 east towards Carson City and head north on 395. It'll take you about an hour, but hey, you're coming in all the way from Atlanta, so no problemo!

bj bob said:
Best place to play these days at SLT is Reno. Take US 50 east towards Carson City and head north on 395. It'll take you about an hour, but hey, you're coming in all the way from Atlanta, so no problemo!
BJ Bob, thanks for replying!! Everyone tells me the same but wife doesn't want to make the trip. If I don't find favorable rules I guess I won't be playing at all. I just want to know if the rules are decent in SLT and what are they. Don't want to show up unprepared or attract too much attention asking what they are.

Warlord

ordonezo said:
I live on the N shore and went over to SLT last week. It is horrible over there.

Mont Bleu went to all 8 deck and no midshoe entry with poor pen, the dealer told me since the effing movie they did this. Harveys is the same with some SD games that are 6:5 Horizon looked like they had 1 decent SD game but the min was $25 so I did not play. I did watch a drunk play it and he was watched closely, so u better have great camo to get away with anything.

Go to Reno SLT is a complete waste of time.

Warlord

ChefJJ said:
How are the games on the North Shore these days?
There is not a whole lot.;
Biltmore
Crystal Bay Club
Cal Neva
Hyatt

The Biltmore;
has gone downhill with new ownership. I use to bring all visiting friends and clients here but no mas. They have 1 SD game that is Super Fun 21, 1 6D shoe with horrible pen and a Cshuffler.

Crystal Bay has a decent 6D game that has 72-75% pen and they have a SD game (do10/11) with poor pen. This place has really improved as far as the property, food, shows etc.

Cal Neva is the sweetest property on the lake but they cannot get unstuck from the 60's. They have a 6D game that has ~70% pen.

The Hyatt I am not sure about. They are all 6D games and the pen varied when I was there from 70-75%

Warlord said:
I live on the N shore and went over to SLT last week. It is horrible over there.

Mont Bleu went to all 8 deck and no midshoe entry with poor pen, the dealer told me since the effing movie they did this. Harveys is the same with some SD games that are 6:5 Horizon looked like they had 1 decent SD game but the min was $25 so I did not play. I did watch a drunk play it and he was watched closely, so u better have great camo to get away with anything.

Go to Reno SLT is a complete waste of time.
LOL, I guess I won't be playing BJ at all in SLT, not with those kind of rules. And what's up with the 6:5 Fake BJ??? Reno here I come....:whip:

ordonezo said:
BJ Bob, thanks for replying!! Everyone tells me the same but wife doesn't want to make the trip. If I don't find favorable rules I guess I won't be playing at all. I just want to know if the rules are decent in SLT and what are they. Don't want to show up unprepared or attract too much attention asking what they are.
It seems I don't have much of a choice but to follow your advise, wife will have to bite the bullet. So what are the good places in Reno???

ccl

hey warlord, have you been over to the lakeside recently, last time i was in the area they had some of the better games in town with some fairly low ($5) limits for double deck and shoes

chris

Warlord

ccl said:
hey warlord, have you been over to the lakeside recently, last time i was in the area they had some of the better games in town with some fairly low ($5) limits for double deck and shoes

chris
Yeah I was there.

They have: 1 SD decent pen (better in Reno) and 1 6d. $5 min. No DBL Deck.

The place is so small u are watched very close.

The SD is always crowded (I am told by locals) and it sure was when I was there (4-6 players all night) on an otherwise slow Sunday night. This is where some locals go to have drinks after work etc. So it could be the slowest time in S shore but this place will still have a full SD table.

Unless you happen to be there (in S shore) it is to far to go to for just the chance conditions will be good here for AP. It is hit or miss. If you are a strict BS player then it is great and a fun place to play.

ChefJJ

ccl said:

chris
I usually try to make a point to stop in the Lakeside whenever I'm around Tahoe...pretty laid back atmosphere and a GIANT craps table. ;)

good luck

ccl said:
A quiet afternoon at Lakside -
EXCERPT FROM ZGI -
Barfarkel: You pulled off a Grifter Gambit play at the Lakeside in Tahoe.
That play is especially revealing as to the camouflage afforded by consolidation betting.

ZG: Yes. The small Lakeside Lodge had the best rules in Lake Tahoe in 2000 – a one deck game with
double after split. The challenge was that being the best game in Tahoe, and a small joint to boot,
The Lakeside gives tremendous scrutiny to large and/or unusual players.

I sat down at a $3 table - the only table open - with three other nickel players and bet 1-5 quarters
in a non-count related progression for about 10 minutes, and then I asked the dealer if he thought
the house would give me a quarter game. He called the pit manager, 'Augie,' over who warmly
invited me to wait 10 minutes and they'd give me a game.

On my first hand at my $25 table I spread to three hands of $25, and the dealer informed me that
"three hands require five times the minimum” - $125 each. I looked at Augie and he shrugged and
said "three times $75 each - for him," at which I mock hesitated then increased to three hands of
$75 and proceeded to lose all three hands and including a double-down. The count being slightly
negative, I frowned at Augie and put out three bets of $75 and won all three. The count tanked
further south and I increased my bets to three bets of $100, and I won again.

Now I was 'in like Flynn' - when the count was negative I would bet three times $75-$100, when
the count was positive I would bet one hand of $300-$500, which was the house limit. About 15
minutes into the play a female approached and bet a single quarter - I frowned at the manager and
reduced my bet to two hands of $50. She played a couple more hands and wandered off as Augie
put a 'reserved' sign at my table and glowingly invited me to “... place any size bet per three hands,
you now have a private game!"

Now my bets ranged from a low of three times $25 to a max of one hand of $500 or two bets of
$375 or three times $300. In 45 minutes I was ahead $6000, at which point Augie came behind
me and said, "I have bad news," and I'm thinking he's going to bar me. But instead he informs me
that "upstairs has decided that you gotta bet $125 each at three hands.” Oh well "sucking me in" I
replied wistfully, he says "sorry."

So now I shift my betting to three times $125 in negative counts and one hand of $500 in positive
counts – winning three rounds of three times $125 in amazing succession. I happily call out to
Augie, "its working, thanks!"

Exactly 60 minutes into the play I’m up $10k when Augie taps my shoulder and informs me that
"we decline your further play." Smiling I wave half of my winnings in the form of ten $500 chips
and taunt, "don’t you guys wanna to try to win half of it back?" "No!" The romance was over.

I managed to get a comped lunch from Augie before cashing out, the two remaining tables had a
total 5 nickel players as I departed
.​