You're boldest bet spread and the results

FrankieT

What's the boldest bet spread you've ever used and what kind of stakes? Were you able to do it for a long time?

I usually go from one hand of 1 unit to two hands of 20 units. I've lasted quite a while at certain places - have yet to be backed off or 86ed. I probably wouldn't last too long if I went up in stakes with that kind of spread.

Last edited:

21forme

A place to which I made a one-time visit 8D, S17, LS - 1xgreen to 2xpurple. Wound up surrendering 13 v T on both hands! Another forum member witnessed this one.

A place I've been to several times DD, S17 - Was getting my ass kicked playing a $50 unit. Count was astronomical, pushed out 1K, got 7,4, doubled, and won. The single 2K win brought me back to even. I immediately left after that one.

There are other places I have an infinite spread, just sitting at the table, waiting to place my bet, but not playing negative counts.

Gamblor

Not my biggest bet, but one of the more interesting for others to note.

$5 table, x40 spread. Lets just say it raised some eyebrows, so generally not advised.

I couldn't help it, to have a super high count and only $100 out there is just not right!

Lonesome Gambler

1-60 was my standard spread for a while. Obviously, it's really only going to work at nickel tables (unless you're very convincing, but even then...), and short sessions are mandatory. Results were good EV-wise, as I was able to sustain an excellent win-rate for playing nickels, and heat was low/non-existent, primarily as a result of the venues I played at. Of course, you can't get away with that forever, but it's good to see people realizing that you're not confined to 1-12 or 1-16.

In fact, I strongly believe that wild spreads will cause less heat for nickel players playing short session than a standard 1-16 spread will, simply because the betting pattern of the latter looks so "by the books" and the former just looks ridiculous. If the pit decided to watch you for a bit, I feel like the first thought would be, "what the hell is this guy even doing?" rather than, "textbook card counting."

Just my opinion, of course—your mileage will almost certainly vary.

johndoe

As a total rookie, playing in an area I rarely visit, myself and a partner spread from $0 (maybe $25 sometimes to keep a seat) to 2x400 all night without consequence. Regularly hopped tables, sat out hands, you name it.

It was at a store known for having lousy games, so it took this kind of play to have a reasonable expectation of profit. (And profit we did!)

Friendo

Lonesome Gambler said:
In fact, I strongly believe that wild spreads will cause less heat for nickel players playing short session than a standard 1-16 spread will, simply because the betting pattern of the latter looks so "by the books" and the former just looks ridiculous. If the pit decided to watch you for a bit, I feel like the first thought would be, "what the hell is this guy even doing?" rather than, "textbook card counting."
I often wonder, when I'm betting precisely according to the count, whether I would look conservative/obvious to someone evaluating my play. As in, like a detached counter rather than a insouciant gambler.

EmeraldCityBJ

$5-2x500 with no cover or bet ramp (I always bet what the count called for).

I'm down about $15k after 30-40 hours of play. There has been no observable heat or any indication a backoff is coming.

A big spread doesn't guarantee either a win or a backoff.

Meaningless

What you guys are tossing out there consists of nothing more than, "I slapped some big bets out there at some point" and it's completely meaningless unless you also state the TC that warranted you placing such bets.

The other question that comes to mind is just what sort of a trip bankroll would you be working with to do 2x20-25 units, etc. because add enough split and double down action to that and you can end up putting the lion's share of 500 units at risk all on one round! Two or three hands can quickly become 5 or 6 hands due to splits and add some double down opportunities to that and you can have a large chunk of bankroll at risk for just one round.

I have a very set and "cast in stone" betting correlation that I adhere to. I avoid underbetting and especially avoid overbetting. I have had occasion to play 40-80 hours of blackjack before I see a count worthy of max bets also, so I am very curious here...

Last edited:

The Chaperone

MeWin$ said:
Wow. Table min to full squares max, i assume. I like it.
How many hrs did u get to play this?
5-7x200.... thousands

25-7x500... nearly a thousand

100-2x4k... hundreds but not all at the same place

Received very few repurcussions for the first two. The last one got me backed off everywhere and put in every database. If I had to do it over again I'd probably pass on the last one, but no regrets about the top two obv. Then again I did make well into six figures in 3-4 months with the last spread so not sure I really even regret that.

Sharky

Tarzan said:
.....Two or three hands can quickly become 5 or 6 hands due to splits and add some double down opportunities to that and you can have a large chunk of bankroll at risk for just one round...

precisely the idea

Gamblor

Tarzan said:
What you guys are tossing out there consists of nothing more than, "I slapped some big bets out there at some point" and it's completely meaningless unless you also state the TC that warranted you placing such bets.

I have a very set and "cast in stone" betting correlation that I adhere to. I avoid underbetting and especially avoid overbetting. I have had occasion to play 40-80 hours of blackjack before I see a count worthy of max bets also, so I am very curious here...
x24 on a +1.5 TC ;)

Coyote

Tarzan said:
Those shoes with the sky-high counts do seem to be few and far between! :(
You are correct, sometimes you do have to wait for hours.

Proper bet sizing

Sharky said:
precisely the idea
You really don't want that high of your session bankroll determined on 1 dealer outcome. You will be out of ammunition when the dealer 6 adds a turned and hit an (8,7) or a (9,6) or even a (T,5). Then what do you do. Great count and no money. By the way look at the cards you are not wanting to see. Do you even have a clue how many 7, 8 and 9 are in the remaining deck. With HILO you know nothing about density of these cards. Tarzan can tell you exactly how many there are and he recommends caution. You have no clue other than there are a lot less 2 thru 6 than T and A using HILO. For a dealer 5 it is even worse for your information. The bad card pairs are (8,8), (9,7), and (T,6). Two thirds of them you know absolutely nothing about. They may be your most likely outcomes for all you know. The other you know if a 6 shows you are probably effed.