Variance is evil

21forme

Recently, I was playing a DD game with excellent rules, including 90% pen, spreading 1-15. In an hour, I was down close to 200 units.

Fortunately, I got most of it back in the next hour.

psyduck

21forme said:
Recently, I was playing a DD game with excellent rules, including 90% pen, spreading 1-15. In an hour, I was down close to 200 units.

Fortunately, I got most of it back in the next hour.
I hear you, man. The down swing can really break one's nerves. That is why I have to give a lot of credit to people like Kewljason who play BJ for a living.

Dyepaintball12 said:
If variance was a current event it would be the BP Oil Spill.
Yes. Attention-getting, but no big deal in the long run.

I like Snyder's take on variance, that it's the only thing that allows us to continue playing.

kewljason

Automatic Monkey said:

I like Snyder's take on variance, that it's the only thing that allows us to continue playing.
I have learned to look at variance exactly the same way as Monkey, and I guess Snyder, although I personally don't remember reading his view. While varience is indeed a bitch, it is what prevents the masses from playing a winning game and allows us to do so. Without it, the industry would stop offering any kind of beatable game, so variance is actually your friend. I know this thinking is of little consequence when you hit one of those substantial downslides though. :eek:

21forme

Just for the record, my original title was different than what appears. The mods edited it :)

I understand (and tolerate) variance just fine. However, it always gets my wife. I keep saying, "it doesn't matter. Think long term."

However, to get hit like that on such an amazing game is still noteworthy. House edge less than 0.2%, etc. I'm sure some AP will have a similar experience during an upcoming promo on the east coast where player edge is +1.5%.

blackjack avenger

Best Games = Biggest Losses

One will have the biggest losses playing the best games because they will be betting big and one cannot escape variance.:joker::whip:

Mewtwo

21forme said:
Just for the record, my original title was different than what appears. The mods edited it :)

I understand (and tolerate) variance just fine. However, it always gets my wife. I keep saying, "it doesn't matter. Think long term."

However, to get hit like that on such an amazing game is still noteworthy. House edge less than 0.2%, etc. I'm sure some AP will have a similar experience during an upcoming promo on the east coast where player edge is +1.5%.
...sadly now that WoO has posted about it in his most recent update I think there might be trouble getting a table.

Brock Windsor

From the WOO site it looks like it will also be offered on SP21. A better game in many ways and should be able to get seats there. Sorry I'll miss out though 1.5% for 24hrs combined with the bet cap doesn't make it glorious, mostly just a treat for the regulars.
-BW

Jack_Black

automonk's response to dyepaintball's analogy to the gulf oil spill

Automatic Monkey said:
I wish there was a head shaking animoticon for this. Or a forehead smacking one. monkey, you should get a show like glen beck. you're really good at saying head turning comments.

I agree that variance is what keeps everyone from counting as a road to riches. but is this rocky road worth taking?