Roulette house edge

My friend insists that the house edge on all outside bets in American roulette (Atlantic City) is half the 5.26% edge on inside bets, because only half the outside bet is lost when 0 or 00 hits. Is this correct or is the house edge the reputed 5.26% anywhere on the layout?

UK-21

Not quite half I believe because of the effect of having two zero slots.

In the UK the rules are the same (only half the wager is lost to the zero on even bets) - but it is half the HE as there is only one zero.

So I'm told, anyway . . .

FLASH1296

If ½ of your losing wagers on outside bets is collected, then your friend is correct.

That makes the game's expectation drop from nightmarish to utterly horrid.

UK-21 comment is also correct re: European Style (one zero) wheels.

London Colin

UK-21 said:
Not quite half I believe because of the effect of having two zero slots.

In the UK the rules are the same (only half the wager is lost to the zero on even bets) - but it is half the HE as there is only one zero.

So I'm told, anyway . . .
It would still be exactly half the normal HE for the game, so long as you get half your stake back for both zeros.

UK-21

Double zero, 2/38 = 5.26% (half being 2.63%)
Single zero, 1/37 = 2.70% (half being 1.35%)

Sorry, meant that the edge on even bets with zero and double zero coming up wasn't exactly the same as the normal edge on single zero games.

Which is worse, American Roulette with two zeros or the slots?

aslan

Is this a question solely out of curiosity? You wouldn't be contemplating actually playing roulette, would you? :eek:

SleightOfHand

aslan said:
Is this a question solely out of curiosity? You wouldn't be contemplating actually playing roulette, would you? :eek:
Let's not bash roulette so quickly. There are instances were it is a good game to play (outside of clocking/biasing)

aslan

SleightOfHand said:
Let's not bash roulette so quickly. There are instances were it is a good game to play (outside of clocking/biasing)
Other than skills. I don't have a clue how roulette can be a good game. And I'm a lifetime winner at roulette, which I intend to remain. Please educate me. :)

Nynefingers

aslan said:
Other than skills. I don't have a clue how roulette can be a good game. And I'm a lifetime winner at roulette, which I intend to remain. Please educate me. :)
Roulette is great for matchplay coupons.

Katweezel

aslan said:
Play only single-zero roulette wheels, if anyone must play... for obvious reasons. A friend gave me this 'system' long ago, and to date I never even tried it because my mind simply refuses to 'see' a roulette table. Maybe someone knows this simple thing and if it works, as the guy claims.

The ball lands on say #29. Then you place one unit on each of the nine numbers, either side of 29 - on the wheel. (Plus one unit on #29, or the winning number from now on.) That makes each spin a total of 19 units, covering 19/37 numbers. You keep following this process. The theory is the ball will more often than not, land in that sector than the other. Why? I have no idea... :confused: Good luck if you wanna try it, as you're sure as hell gonna need luck facing a negative 2.7% house edge. :eek:

PS Daddybo, don't you dare pipe up with 'your long-term EV is 19/37, it's a winner!'

UK-21

aslan said:
Mrs UK loves it. I'm only considering playing if I can slip a large blob of bubblegum into the zero slot when the croup's not paying attention . . .

aslan

UK-21 said:
Mrs UK loves it. I'm only considering playing if I can slip a large blob of bubblegum into the zero slot when the croup's not paying attention . . .
Put one in a number slot as well, and you will have an advantage. :yikes::whip: :laugh:

UK-21

What about the house edge with this one?

Take a look at this. Doesn't really explain how his system overcomes the inherrent HE, or have I missed something? His book is currently selling on Amazon for £100.00 - have to say I am surprised they've agreed to stock it.

(Dead link: http://www.sequentialroulette.com/#2)2

Read and enjoy . . . .

UK-21

And on the subject of roulette systems, has anyone got any roulette simulation software, or may know of where I could acquire such a thing?

QFIT

UK-21 said:
And on the subject of roulette systems, has anyone got any roulette simulation software, or may know of where I could acquire such a thing?
I wrote Roulette wheel/dealer analysis software for Laurance Scott. But it is not a "simulation" per se. That would not be useful. Systems like that sequential roulette system are obvious frauds.