Using fake names

aslan

callipygian said:
Yes, they are.

Most laws are pretty explicit in this regard - any ID that -->PURPORTS TO BE FROM A GOVERNMENT AGENCY<-- is illegal. Note that if you got an ID for the South Dakota Air National Guard, it's illegal even if South Dakota doesn't have an Air National Guard! As a matter of fact, it could be even argued that if you got an ID with an intentionally misspelled state name (e.g. "Massachussetts" Driver's License) that this also purports to be from a government agency.

The legalities of fake ID's is a path that is well-trodden and there's plenty of precedence against you. You're not going to discover a loophole here that millions of teenagers haven't tried exploiting already.
I was trying to say "illegal but not forgery." It may be a distinction worth noting.

aslan

zengrifter said:
A COUNTERFIT license is illegal, but a NOVELTY license is not.

I have a novelty DL that has two important disatinctions from counterfit - its the wrong color and instead of "Motor Vehicle Services" it says Motor Services Vehicle. It also has different copy on the back.

Notwithstanding the novelty, it can look very suspicious if you are found with a bunch of them in your possesion. zg
So now we have:

(1) Forgery

(2) Official-looking, but not an attempted copy

(3) Novelty

Yikes!

If a license says, "State of Minnesota" instead of "Minnesota State" (or vice versa) does it qualify as a Novelty?

Does the house do anything more than copy the data into their database? Do they actually check for its authenticity?

Yeah, zg, I wouldn't walk around with a bunch of them in my pocket. :laugh:

Sonny

aslan said:
If a license says, "State of Minnesota" instead of "Minnesota State" (or vice versa) does it qualify as a Novelty?
That depends on what kind of license it claims to be. If it says "Sate of Minnesota Driver's License" or "State of Minnesota Fishing License" then it is illegal. If it says "State of Minnesota Kite Flying Club" then it is novelty. Just don't try to duplicate anything issued by the government and you should be fine.

-Sonny-

aslan

What about a phony credit card, and say you don't drive--epileptic or something? As long as you don't use it as a credit card, it seems legal. Then you can use your phony Moose Lodge membership to give them your address if they want it.