Tracking the cutoff

Rael said:
Sorry Silky. I have noticed you mentioned dealer grabs are 39 cards. Still with minor adjustment you could get the actual count for the whole 4.5 decks.
yes, in that situation the conservative count should have been ~-8 in 4.5 decks or a TC of 1.7

1.7 is not the greatest but it's a nicer start than 0! I find tracking the first 3/4 deck in the discard trey is more profitable. In practice I often get counts of -9 or -10 in a 1.5 deck segment.

Pseudo Decks

I think you have it right as far as the method you are using. I would get separate a count for the marriage partner. There is a probability that the +/- cards are not distributed based on the average in the 'unknown' area(s).

The cut off ( decks 7 and 8 ) will be married to decks 3 & 4, moreover you would need the count for the last 1/4 ( 13 cards) from decks # 6 and # 2.

CUT
OFF
F2( 13 cards)
F1
E
D
C
B2 ( 13 cards )
B1
A

The bottom 4.5 decks: [ Cut Off + F2] + [D + C + B2]. With this method we get the exact count for the bottom 4.5 decks

Rael

silky28 said:
yes, in that situation the conservative count should have been ~-8 in 4.5 decks or a TC of 1.7

1.7 is not the greatest but it's a nicer start than 0! I find tracking the first 3/4 deck in the discard trey is more profitable. In practice I often get counts of -9 or -10 in a 1.5 deck segment.
Like I said - I don't know NRS, BUT part of the beauty of COT is the penetration -
- I would now play the 4.5D as 5D with 90%+ pene.
- Also, you would have the starting +TC two out of three shuffles. But the pene is a big part of my weak-ass COT. zg

zengrifter said:
Like I said - I don't know NRS, BUT part of the beauty of COT is the penetration -
- I would now play the 4.5D as 5D with 90%+ pene.
- Also, you would have the starting +TC two out of three shuffles. But the pene is a big part of my weak-ass COT. zg
So just the verify. If the count of the cutoff is -16 and it gets mixed with 4.5 decks i should bring that 4.5 right to the front, start my count at +16, and bail out after 4.5 decks or when the count reaches 0? And i could use the truecount started at 16/5 so tc=3?

silky28 said:
So just the verify. If the count of the cutoff is -16 and it gets mixed with 4.5 decks i should bring that 4.5 right to the front, start my count at +16, and bail out after 4.5 decks or when the count reaches 0? And i could use the truecount started at 16/5 so tc=3?
Sounds right. Anyone else? (I haven't done it in awhile, is missing?) zg

silky28 said:
The count of the cutoff 2 deck portion is +16. The remaining 6 decks have a count of -16. Each deck in the remaining deck has a count of -16/6decks which gives a count of -8/3 per deck. The 2.5 decks shuffled in has a count of -8/3*(2.5) which is -20/3 or about -7. Those 4.5 decks that contain your cutoff slug has a RC of +9 and a TC of +2.

tthree said:
The count of the cutoff 2 deck portion is +16. The remaining 6 decks have a count of -16. Each deck in the remaining deck has a count of -16/6decks which gives a count of -8/3 per deck. The 2.5 decks shuffled in has a count of -8/3*(2.5) which is -20/3 or about -7. Those 4.5 decks that contain your cutoff slug has a RC of +9 and a TC of +2.
thanks again everyone.

that's how I was going about it tthree. What Real suggested seems like way too much work. It might be more accurate and all but why would you track all of these segments when you might only end up with a decent cutoff. I like to keep things as simple as I possible can. That's why I love tracking the first 1/2 to 3/4 deck in the discards. So easy to track how many cards they are mixed with and how confined the packet is.

I am going to try and get proficient in this most simple nrs then move to more complicated holecarding and ace tracking. But I think the ace tracking will have to wait until I travel to the other more professional establishment.

plus the dealers in this particular crap hole are so varied but are generally sloppy. Last night I saw about 8-9 shoes where I could see the last card in the shoe (ie the cutoff) just exposed for all to see because the cut card was out of place. Not worth much I assume but seing 1 extra card is nice.

silky28 said:
thanks again everyone.

that's how I was going about it tthree. What Real suggested seems like way too much work. It might be more accurate and all but why would you track all of these segments when you might only end up with a decent cutoff. I like to keep things as simple as I possible can. That's why I love tracking the first 1/2 to 3/4 deck in the discards. So easy to track how many cards they are mixed with and how confined the packet is.

I am going to try and get proficient in this most simple nrs then move to more complicated holecarding and ace tracking. But I think the ace tracking will have to wait until I travel to the other more professional establishment.

plus the dealers in this particular crap hole are so varied but are generally sloppy. Last night I saw about 8-9 shoes where I could see the last card in the shoe (ie the cutoff) just exposed for all to see because the cut card was out of place. Not worth much I assume but seing 1 extra card is nice.
If you can do it in the time you have available it is not too much work.

Dopple said:
I played around with tracking the cutoff before and I did get the Malmuth book ...
What book are you talking about? What is the title? ISBN? Are there any DVD's out there that teach cut off tracking?