Pontoon

aka23

I've seen few statistics about pontoon. Even basic information like standard deviation per hand does not seem to be available. Does anyone have stats like this for pontoon?

Does anyone know of a pontoon simulator, or a blackjack simulator with very flexible rules (dealer wins ties, 5 card hands pay 2:1, can program strategies based on # of cards in hand, etc)?

Kasi

aka23 said:
I've seen few statistics about pontoon. Even basic information like standard deviation per hand does not seem to be available. Does anyone have stats like this for pontoon?

Does anyone know of a pontoon simulator, or a blackjack simulator with very flexible rules (dealer wins ties, 5 card hands pay 2:1, can program strategies based on # of cards in hand, etc)?
No to all your questions lol.

I'm pretty sure you know as much, or as little, about the game as I do.

My feeling is, under almost any set of rules, your strategy based on number of cards in hand wouldn't change much. But that could be way off to say the least.

My experience has been a higher stan dev than BJ. I'm pretty sure.

But there are lots of different rules as you know.

With a HA so close to BJ, and actually worse than other BJ games available, I never saw the point of playing it much, terms and conditions notwithstanding lol.

Sonny

Shackleford gives the BS for Pontoon but doesn't give any numbers for variance. Snyder also has the BS but nothing else. It sounds like CVData might be able to handle those rules. I'm not sure about the multi-card strategies though. Maybe check with Norm on that one.

-Sonny-

Dog Hand

CVData comes close, but misses a bit...

In particular, CVData can handle 5-card 2:1, BJ pays 2:1, dealer wins ties, strategies dependent on the number of cards in your hand, etc.

However, it isn't able to sim the dealer stopping on 5 cards, or the dealer's 5-card hand beating your 2-card 20.

If you're really interested in this, you can always email Norm (his email address is available on the QFIT.com website) and ask him if he would be willing to provide a custon version of CVData.

Dog Hand

Mr. T

Sonny said:
Shackleford gives the BS for Pontoon but doesn't give any numbers for variance. It sounds like CVData might be able to handle those rules. I'm not sure about the multi-card strategies though. Maybe check with Norm on that one.

-Sonny-
There is much confusion. Shackleford says Pontoon is played with 52 cards per pack and the house wins ties amongst other things.
In Asia including Macau Pontoon is played with 48 cards with the "10" card taken out. The other house rules are about the same as in BJ.
I haven't found any BS charts anywhere for this game.

you can find bs charts at wizardofodds' website.

i wonder how card counting would work for pontoon seeing how high and low cards both benefit the player - player has to hit certain stiff hands too and 5 card tricks pay 2:1