Good news about traveling with cash.

muppet

johndoe said:
I went through the new x-ray scanners twice recently (including LAS) with >$25k and had no problems at all.
you mean you went through a full-body scanner? while wearing a money belt with 25k+?

muppet

wow that is surprising? i believe they can 'see' it on the scan right? i have a money belt that you wear around your calf - i suppose that should work too then..

johndoe

muppet said:
wow that is surprising? i believe they can 'see' it on the scan right? i have a money belt that you wear around your calf - i suppose that should work too then..
Beats me; I'm not sure how bricks of currency actually look. But going through twice there were no issues. Maybe the machine was just for show.

Digging around for example images, it does appear that a money belt may be indistinguishable from underwear. One on your calf may draw attention.

shadroch

muppet said:
you mean you went through a full-body scanner? while wearing a money belt with 25k+?

Why would you think it would be a problem? I'm sure he was on a domestic flight, and carrying cash is not illegal. I've heard that the TSA has been told to let small amounts of pot( which is illegal) slide. TSA is not a law enforcement agency, its a security agency. Unless you are a threat to the public saftey, their ability to detain you is very limited. However, they can prevent you from flying fairly easily.

johndoe said:
Beats me; I'm not sure how bricks of currency actually look. But going through twice there were no issues. Maybe the machine was just for show.

Digging around for example images, it does appear that a money belt may be indistinguishable from underwear. One on your calf may draw attention.
Yes, carrying anything on the leg is associated with weapons (like the classic sgain dubh). If they see anything down your pants it could be underwear, a truss, a jock, etc. They might suspect it's drugs but it's better to be suspected of that than a weapon or bomb.

I was thinking about constructing a pouch that looks like an ostomy bag which is something they see every day but really don't want to mess with.

daddybo

Automatic Monkey said:
Yes, carrying anything on the leg is associated with weapons (like the classic sgain dubh). If they see anything down your pants it could be underwear, a truss, a jock, etc. They might suspect it's drugs but it's better to be suspected of that than a weapon or bomb.

I was thinking about constructing a pouch that looks like an ostomy bag which is something they see every day but really don't want to mess with.
Or how about a really big man part.. with tons of cash rolled up inside.. :laugh::laugh:

muppet

shadroch said:
Why would you think it would be a problem? I'm sure he was on a domestic flight, and carrying cash is not illegal. I've heard that the TSA has been told to let small amounts of pot( which is illegal) slide. TSA is not a law enforcement agency, its a security agency. Unless you are a threat to the public saftey, their ability to detain you is very limited. However, they can prevent you from flying fairly easily.
i'd much prefer that tsa agents don't get their hands on my cash, even if just for a brief period of time. and furthermore i dont care to be flashing money in public, nor do i care for the (potential) hassle of explaining the money