money hobbies

shadroch

ah...craps said:
Anyone have suggestions for other games/hobbies like blackjack or poker that are played for money? (doesn't have to do with cards) I couldn't get much past backgammon and chess...
ebaying is an up and comer. Lots of money to be made just by bidding on poorly described articles and then winning and repackaging them. It's amazing when someone with good working knowledge can find there.

daddybo

Lol

Katweezel said:
So Dad, is this called a coon toothprick? Does coon folklore suggest that one of these coon boners could be good luck? Is that why you have a collection? When you play, is one always seen protruding from your mouth? :grin:
Actually, down here, we call 'em Coon D**k Toothpicks. They bring extremely good luck. I'm much more sophisticated than most.. I wear mine on a chain around my neck! Along with my x-ray glasses; It makes for a good table conversation. :) you want me to send you one?

Edit: I thought you might think I was kidding Kat...

"In May, 1996, Michael Redman added something new on the subect: the use of the raccoon penis bone as a gambler's charm. Here's what he said:

Just got back from New Orleans for my umpteenth Jazz Fest visit & spent some extended time in the Voodoo Museum in the Quarter. As touristy as this place is, there were several exhibits of interest. Did notice a raccoon penis bone there marked "Lucky for gamblers."
Other readers have written in and added much lore -- about a gambling uncle in the South who wrapped his coon dong in a ten dollar bill before going out to play cards of an evening, a grandfather who wore a "possum prick" bone as a watch fob, a jeweler who caps the bones with sterling silver and sells them as necklace pendants, and a family which has owned a "mountain toothpick" for years. Scott Stauffer, a taxidermist in Michigan, writes, "I have had several requests for raccoon penis necklaces. Thinking this to be strange, I asked as to the reason one would want to wear such a thing. Up here the general consensus is that 'You're not cool unless you're hangin.' No red ribbons or gifts to girl friends; the guys wear them, mostly, it seems, for luck. A jeweler's clasp is glued to the straight end and it is worn on a length of gold chain. Although strange, they are strikingly handsome when boiled and pollished."