Best way from NYC to Reno/Tahoe

shadroch

I'm hoping to get up to Tahoe/Reno for a few days next month. I have an offer for a few free days at Harrahs and have never been there before.
I'm planning this as more of a siteseeing trip- Virginia City, Carson City, ect.
Airfares are crazy and renl cars in Reno are insane. I'm looking at flying into SF, Oakland, San Jose or maybe even Vegas and driving. Any one wishing to share their experiances doing this would be greatly appreciated.
This isn't a gambling trip, so I'm not concerned about game conditions. Just getting there and back.

shadroch said:
I'm hoping to get up to Tahoe/Reno for a few days next month. I have an offer for a few free days at Harrahs and have never been there before.
I'm planning this as more of a siteseeing trip- Virginia City, Carson City, ect.
Airfares are crazy and renl cars in Reno are insane. I'm looking at flying into SF, Oakland, San Jose or maybe even Vegas and driving. Any one wishing to share their experiances doing this would be greatly appreciated.
This isn't a gambling trip, so I'm not concerned about game conditions. Just getting there and back.
JetBlue to Sacramento.

ChefJJ

Never Spent Much Time in Reno

...but have gone to Tahoe several times. Depending on what you are into, there is plenty out there. I'm an outdoor person, so it's easy for me to say that hiking is great, especially along the Tahoe Rim Trail...great views from up there.

I apologize in advance for not addressing your topic of transport to/from, Shad.

Couple other quick things:

The gondola from Heavenly offers nice views all around if you don't want to hoof it on the trails.

Going with a lady? Try the Woodwind II sunset champagne cruise. Smooth, relaxing, and beautiful surroundings on the Lake while the sun goes down.

Some excellent food at a small place in North LT called the Soule Domain...truly awesome and not too bad on the wallet considering how damn good it is. You can also chill on the deck at Gar Woods for decent food, but if you go there and like your booze have a Wet Woody. Trust me, it's well worth going there for.

enjoy :joker:

ChefJJ

21forme said:
Don't miss Yosemite. Make hotel reservations ASAP if you go. it fills up quickly.
Just saw this as I posted the other about Tahoe. If you are in that vicinity...I completely agree. Can't attest to the hotel thing since we only camped out there. But if you go to Yosemite, try to spin down into King's Canyon as well...awesome in-and-out drive.

WRX

Hmmm, I don't know what's up, looks like Southwest fares have shot up across the board. Wait for a fare sale, maybe? That's airline travel for you, no stability in the industry whatsoever.

FLASH1296

Today I checked S.W.A. fares from the East Coast to Nevada.

I now have to delay some trips until the prices become reasonable.

nottooshabby

San Fran to Reno is about a 4 hour drive. It's not bad, except in the winter on I-80. Coming from the East, you may really like the scenery along the way (once you get past Sacramento). Virginia City is pretty neat, many of the original buildings are maintained although there isn't much to do aside from walking around the town and seeing the "Suicide Table" . . . part of gambling lore. A few of the taverns have cheap drinks, too. Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places in the world, especially the drive from the Southern end into the California side with a quick stop at Emerald Bay!

melbedewy

shadroch said:
I'm going in October Providence-SFO for $304 Rt including taxes. Reno direct was $180 more. On Southwest. I figure for the same money I can get a couple of "free" nights in SF, a place I have never been.

aslan

FLASH1296 said:
Today I checked S.W.A. fares from the East Coast to Nevada.

I now have to delay some trips until the prices become reasonable.
$139 each way, but that's booking 6 months in advance which is what I always do. And I always get non-stop flights into Vegas.

aslan

shadroch said:
$279 RT for my end of Jan. trip, and thats Super Bowl week.
After all the add ons such as airplane parking fees? That's a good price --same as mine on SWA. Mine includes Memorial Day weekend.

shadroch

aslan said:
After all the add ons such as airplane parking fees? That's a good price --same as mine on SWA. Mine includes Memorial Day weekend.
$279 Final price, as charged to my Bill Me Later account. listed prices were $119 and $149 plus fees, ect, ect.

aslan

shadroch said:
$279 Final price, as charged to my Bill Me Later account. listed prices were $119 and $149 plus fees, ect, ect.
Good price. My SW Airlines was $139 each way, but booked 6 months in advance or however long it was before my dates appeared on their internet screens. We always book at the earliest possible date because (1) we want to get non-stop flights, and (2) we want to get the cheapest fares available. Also, using SWA's credit card for all possible purchases has resulted in my fares being gratis, while my wife pays the discounted advance fare price. We've been doing this for what seems like ten years or more.