Team Play

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could talk me through an effective way of simulating a Team Play scenario in CVData, or otherwise. I've only yesterday purchased the software and am still trying to get my head around all of the parameters.

But also, if anyone could talk me through any math regarding this that would be great!

Particularly I am curious if I am able to collect simulated data regarding a BP's movements from table to table across several Spotters at different tables, OR am I limited to simulating one table with a Spotter/BP team.

In the case of the latter, would I be able to draw any conclusions of a Spotter/BP scenario for multiple table play from these results?

Any guidance and advice regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Hersinv

Sonny

It depends a lot on what kind of team strategy you are using. For the standard BP setup, it’s usually more helpful to calculate the EV of your BP separate from your spotters. That way you can compare different strategies using different spotter:BP ratios. There is some discussion about this in the FAQ thread, and the book Blackjack Attack has a lot of info about calculating the EV and SD for these types of strategies.

-Sonny-

Would you say that BP advantage stacks in any way in a standard BP/Spotter strategy? - as in, does the advantage per table in any way accumulate to a point greater than a calculated advantage simulated from one table over the course of play from playing multiple tables from different Spotter callins at different tables ?

... I hope I'm explaining myself correctly, please let me know if you require any further details

Sonny

hersinv said:
...does the advantage per table in any way accumulate to a point greater than a calculated advantage simulated from one table over the course of play from playing multiple tables from different Spotter callins at different tables ?
The EV per hand should be the same, but jumping from table to table will allow the BP to play more positive hands than if he had stayed at the same table. Playing more positive hands will increase the hourly win rate even though the EV and SD per hand does not change. So you can use the single-table numbers for table-hopping calculations.

-Sonny-

moo321

This is all secondhand info from others who have run a BP team (I have not). They tend to recommend 3 spotters, and a 1-100 spread from spotter to BP.

@moo321 Yeah, this is similar to the approach my team uses - in terms of BP/Spotter ratio and Spread. As far as Spotter callin efficiency goes, from our records, this ratio is as close to optimum as we can manage. Raising the callin point however would allow for more Spotters across the floor - right now (depending on depth) we typically call in at about True 2/3

@Sonny I appreciate your advice Sonny. Thanks for your quick reply! My reason for asking was to simply confirm with some sort of authority (I feel senior posters such as yourself here in the 'Math' board of blackjackinfo as such) that I can treat the numbers I'm getting out of CVData with some confidence before presenting to potential investors/future team partners.

- would you have any further advice (in terms of numbers or otherwise) as to any crucial info you've used in your experience that has proved helpful in determining the strength of a proposed BP/Spotter team?

Sonny

hersinv said:
- would you have any further advice (in terms of numbers or otherwise) as to any crucial info you've used in your experience that has proved helpful in determining the strength of a proposed BP/Spotter team?
In terms of game/strategy selection, looking at the SCORE per person can be helpful. You can get the EV and variance numbers from the software and combine them based on your call in strategy. You can use that to calculate the SCORE per person of the game and compare it to other games and/or strategies.

But that’s the easy part. The next step is where everything usually falls apart. When do you break the bank? How do you split the profits? How are expenses handled? What if you keep losing and people want to back out of the deal? How big and how long should people expect the swings be? How likely are you to go broke? What happens if you go broke? If you're dealing with investors who aren't APs then you need to make sure that they are prepared to handle the short-term results. Those questions alone should keep you busy for a while. This all assumes that you have a fully trained and experienced team ready to go. Otherwise you have a whole truckload of questions to answer before you even start thinking about your strategy.

-Sonny-