An ingenious way to tip the dealer

tensplitter

Today I saw a ploppy tip the dealer by betting one white chip in every player's spot for the dealer for a total of a $4 tip. The dealer showed a 5 and busted, and therefore won every bet.

aslan

21forme said:
Why is that ingenious?

Personally, I don't want anyone else with their hands near my spot.
Also, anyone doing this draws mega attention to themselves. I like it when someone other than myself indulges in this practice, because it seems to lessen heat on moi. Some ploppies feel strongly that a happy table is a winning table and so perform such acts as a way to create "team spirit" or "positive energy." Also, there's the prevalent belief that betting for the dealer brings luck to those who engage in this superstitious practice.

Speaking of superstition, I especially find it amusing when a ploppy does something stupid, citing that he has tried everything else--"Maybe THIS will work!" (as he doubles down on a hard 12, hits a hard 17, or doubles down on a hard 7). I sometimes console them when they lose, saying, "Well, you tried everything else," but I feel a little guilty aiding and abetting such lunacy.

moo321

aslan said:
Also, there's the prevalent belief that betting for the dealer brings luck to those who engage in this superstitious practice.
Wait, betting for the dealer is superstitious? That's how I always tip. The dealers love it, and when I tip when I'm betting big, they tend to get tipped slightly more than if I just handed them the money.

aslan

moo321 said:
Wait, betting for the dealer is superstitious? That's how I always tip. The dealers love it, and when I tip when I'm betting big, they tend to get tipped slightly more than if I just handed them the money.
Out of context. The one of the reasons ploppies tip (you aren't a ploppy, are you?) is that they feel they must in order to deserve to win, or to influence the cards in the direction of the dealer. It's like contributing to the collection basket to keep the sacred flow going. Also, when I said betting for the dealer, I did not mean YOUR practice of betting a dollar on top of your betting stack (Kudos to moo!), but the common practice of betting in front of the betting circle for the dealer. I myself have adopted your practice of betting on top of my regular betting stack, since it makes my tipping last longer, giving the dealer only the "won" chip. Of course, OUR reasons for tipping are quite different from the ploppies: One reason is cover. Another reason may be in hopes of encouraging better pen from savvy dealers. Lastly, we are not all Neanderthals--some of us actually believe some modicum of tipping is warranted, especially in htese tough times. (I apologize to any Neanderthals out there. :p Whatever floats your boat.)