self-assurance of players

johndoe said:
All top colleges ensure that any person admitted can afford to go, no matter how poor they are. They can and do help in all situations, and will NEVER abandon a good student due to finances.

Sure, you'll be in debt for a long time, and if you have an aversion to that I can see foregoing the opportunity, but IMO it's a foolish move. Student loans are the easiest (and cheapest) money you'll ever get.
Now that almost everyone needs financial aid for college that is the case, almost anyone can get it. Back then if you were a white male and you couldn't throw or kick a football extremely well, and you needed financial aid- visit your friendly military recruiter. The majority of my classmates in the cheap schools were blue collar white males.

shadroch

Automatic Monkey said:
Now that almost everyone needs financial aid for college that is the case, almost anyone can get it. Back then if you were a white male and you couldn't throw or kick a football extremely well, and you needed financial aid- visit your friendly military recruiter. The majority of my classmates in the cheap schools were blue collar white males.
Boo-hoo. Strange, I'm a white male who started college in 1977 and between TAP,student loans, scholarships and what became known as Pell Grants, was able to manage my finances. When did being a white male somehow become a problem in the real world?

Bojack1

Automatic Monkey said:
I got financial aid for school in 1985. I was not rich, barely middle class, but was able to get the funds to go to an Ivy League school in NYC. I find it hard to believe it was that much different just 4 years earlier to obtain the funds needed to attend an accepted school.

shadroch said:
Boo-hoo. Strange, I'm a white male who started college in 1977 and between TAP,student loans, scholarships and what became known as Pell Grants, was able to manage my finances. When did being a white male somehow become a problem in the real world?
Everyone's situation is somewhat different. For me, there was no money. Forget "barely middle class," more like flat broke, dumpster diving, no money to pay the rent. If I had been in another demographic there may have been outfits willing to help me, but for me, it was "Get a job."

Not that I'm complaining, and I'm very satisfied with my education. Now I'm a respected professional and able to accomplish things that whole departments of Ivy Leaguers have not, mostly because they're not as accustomed to working in substandard conditions.

Being white or male can be a big disadvantage in certain environments where they make it a disadvantage. When's the last time you've seen a white stewardess under 40 on one of the legacy airlines?