is the high low good for single deck?

I have gone 10-12 times playing only single deck with a playing bank roll of 100 bucks at 5 dollar tables, 3-2 bj and double on 10-11 only.

I use a 1-4 bet spread. I use basic strategy and only know the I-18 indices.

If the count is 2, i double, 3 triple, 4 quadruple etc.

I have not won a single session and lost close to a grand.

Is there something im missing? It seems like the count does nothing to predict the cards that will come out. I usually get a stiff in which I will play basic strategy or deviate according to I-18.

The high low is **** but all the books say its the best easy system to use.

forwhat77

Hi Lo is good mostly for shoe games.. Personally, I like to run Hi opt 1 for single decks with ace side count. I too started out with hi lo on single decks and lost my butt off. Since switching to hi opt, I am pulling close to even.

Canceler

Just a hunch...

Disclaimer: I’ve never played single deck.

eldorado said:
I have gone 10-12 times playing only single deck with a playing bank roll of 100 bucks at 5 dollar tables, 3-2 bj and double on 10-11 only.

I use a 1-4 bet spread.

How many times have you had to quit because you lost your whole $100? It seems to me that your session bankroll isn’t nearly large enough.

NightStalker

Why would you play d10 single deck?

It's not worth it. At the best, you are playing break-even games d10 increases RoR alot and then you spread whooping 1-4...

Canceler said:
Disclaimer: I’ve never played single deck.

How many times have you had to quit because you lost your whole $100? It seems to me that your session bankroll isn’t nearly large enough.
I dont know overall, probably about 60% of the time.

But in the last two weeks or so 100% of the time.

It seems to me if you are down 100 bucks at a $5 table is something you will never return from, and having a more money is only gonna guarantee you losing more money.

Nynefingers

eldorado said:

It seems to me if you are down 100 bucks at a $5 table is something you will never return from, and having a more money is only gonna guarantee you losing more money.
Even with your 1-4 spread, you can win or lose well over $100 in a single hand. Not having enough money to complete all of your splits and doubles or to complete the deck when the count is high is suicidal. Even if you think a stoploss is a good idea, you should take more than that with you and never stop until the shuffle if the count says you have an advantage.

bj bob

eldorado said:

Your biggest problem is the $100 session roll. That's only 5 max bets. Not even close to cutting it.You are playing so few hands that the d10 rule probably hasn't had time to manifest any difference. There's really not much detriment with d10 IF the penetration is there to compensate for it. I'd rather play a d10 game with Ro7 vs. a DOA game with Ro5. Your spread of 1-4 sounds good for the SD games. My advice...don't start a session with less than $250, don't play unless you're getting a minimum of 6 rounds/ game, learn about a dozen more indices (mostly neg. ones) and DO NOT PLAY with more than one other player at the table.
Try this several times and get back to us with the results.

Canceler

eldorado said:
I can understand why you think you’re being conservative and cautious and prudent and responsible with this, but it’s just killing you. It’s not just the D10 rule that hasn’t had time to manifest itself; it’s also the normal house edge, and any edge you may get from counting, that haven’t had time to manifest themselves. This is because you keep getting sent home early due to the normal fluctuations of the game.

You want to end your session for some reason other than you ran out of money. Bring enough so that you lose all your money in maybe 5% of your sessions, not the 60% or more that you’re doing now. There are ways to calculate how much money that would be, but trial and error works, too. Start with the $250 that bj bob mentioned.

forwhat77

Simply put...You should bring at least 300 and open your spread out to 1-6. This gives you not much better chances, but still better.:eek: Im telling you Hi-Lo simply sucks on a single deck, sry fellaz, and ace side tracking really helps. I use this with hi-opt, and walk out up a hundred dollars twice a week quite regularly. Even though I could probably win alot more, longevity is the key in the small place i visit.

bj bob said:
Your biggest problem is the $100 session roll. That's only 5 max bets. Not even close to cutting it.You are playing so few hands that the d10 rule probably hasn't had time to manifest any difference. There's really not much detriment with d10 IF the penetration is there to compensate for it. I'd rather play a d10 game with Ro7 vs. a DOA game with Ro5. Your spread of 1-4 sounds good for the SD games. My advice...don't start a session with less than $250, don't play unless you're getting a minimum of 6 rounds/ game, learn about a dozen more indices (mostly neg. ones) and DO NOT PLAY with more than one other player at the table.
Try this several times and get back to us with the results.
Thanks man.

You mention not playing with more than one other player at the table and I frequently play in full tables, so that could be hurting me.

If I ever play at a $10 table, would I need a minum of $500 with the same bet spread.

forwhat77 said:
Simply put...You should bring at least 300 and open your spread out to 1-6. This gives you not much better chances, but still better.:eek: Im telling you Hi-Lo simply sucks on a single deck, sry fellaz, and ace side tracking really helps. I use this with hi-opt, and walk out up a hundred dollars twice a week quite regularly. Even though I could probably win alot more, longevity is the key in the small place i visit.
Thanks for the advice on the high low.

I know the high opt 1, but dont know any of the indices. I have the worlds greatest bj book and I dont remember them telling me any indices for single deck, only 4 deck.

do you know where i can find all the indices for this system for single deck??

bj bob

eldorado said:
Thanks man.

You mention not playing with more than one other player at the table and I frequently play in full tables, so that could be hurting me.

If I ever play at a $10 table, would I need a minum of $500 with the same bet spread.
Yup. That's the same ratio. BTW, If you're playing where I think you are, there are lots of real good DOA games around with no heat at that level.

Last edited:
Playing a lot of single deck eh? Definitely a good switch to go from Hi-Lo to Hi-Opt. I'd never use Hi-Lo if I was primarily playing SD or DD games.

I wouldn't be playing at a full table single deck game either. Get good with Hi Opt I, play with fewer players, and stick with it. If you're playing a good game thats dealt deep enough, your edge will eventually start to pull through the fluctuation.

Last edited:

nc-tom

eldorado said:

I use a 1-4 bet spread. I use basic strategy and only know the I-18 indices.

If the count is 2, i double, 3 triple, 4 quadruple etc.

Is there something im missing? It seems like the count does nothing to predict the cards that will come out. I usually get a stiff in which I will play basic strategy or deviate according to I-18.

The high low is **** but all the books say its the best easy system to use.
Play with no more than 1 other player. double at +-4 triple at +-6 quadruple at +-8. Get more money and give it time.

forwhat77

nc-tom said:
Play with no more than 1 other player. double at +-4 triple at +-6 quadruple at +-8. Get more money and give it time.
Plus 8? Single deck? where????????????? LOL. I know some of the others participating in the proffessional thread my ream me for this, but if you are lucky enough to have a good single deck, you really dont have to worry much about the indices. You will know what to do when the time is right. At least it seems that way for me and my few single deck gems..