How much does it cost to change your name??

Just FYI, a legal name change does take quite a bit of effort. The court side of it is pretty simple and cheap, but keep in mind you must change social security, license, passport, health insurance, mortgage deed, bank accounts, investment accounts, retirement accounts, etc.

Sucker

craazyman said:
Just FYI, a legal name change does take quite a bit of effort. The court side of it is pretty simple and cheap, but keep in mind you must change social security, license, passport, health insurance, mortgage deed, bank accounts, investment accounts, retirement accounts, etc.
This is NOT true. In some states, Texas in particular; the court side of it can be rather complicated and expensive. As far as changing these other things that you mention - you don't HAVE to change ANYTHING if you don't want to. As a matter of fact, the only way you can legally change your SSN is to be enrolled in the witness protection program.

See my earlier post in this thread - I have first-hand knowledge in this area. There have been more times than once, that upon returning from an overseas trip; I've shown my passport AND drivers license to U.S. Customs officials. The D.L. is in my birth name and the passport is in my new name. Only one time did it raise eyebrows, but after consulting with his superiors; he returned and AGREED that it was perfectly legal to have two separate names.

Sucker said:
This is NOT true. In some states, Texas in particular; the court side of it can be rather complicated and expensive. As far as changing these other things that you mention - you don't HAVE to change ANYTHING if you don't want to. As a matter of fact, the only way you can legally change your SSN is to be enrolled in the witness protection program.

See my earlier post in this thread - I have first-hand knowledge in this area. There have been more times than once, that upon returning from an overseas trip; I've shown my passport AND drivers license to U.S. Customs officials. The D.L. is in my birth name and the passport is in my new name. Only one time did it raise eyebrows, but after consulting with his superiors; he returned and AGREED that it was perfectly legal to have two separate names.
Interesting. I personally know someone that went through the process in the midwest. It was around $200. However, they were told by their lawyer that they had to change everything.

You do not change the SSN number itself, you send a legal notice that your name has changed. The number remains the same.

It may be that you can not change certain things, or perhaps it is a state by state basis. All I know is the lawyer specifically said that a notice must be sent to all those agencies to change your info.

Then again.... I'm not a lawyer myself hehe

Change you can believe in!

Sucker said:
As a matter of fact, the only way you can legally change your SSN is to be enrolled in the witness protection program.
I'm Just nit picking here, but there are other legitimate reasons to change your SSN where the authorities will not ask any questions. They are rare but they do exist.

Sucker said:
I'm not either. I'm just repeating what MY lawyer said. One of our lawyers is probably wrong - I hope it's not mine. :grin:
Well its my friend not me, so I hope your lawyer is right haha!!! Perhaps it varies by state?

I just remembered that his lawyer was harping on stuff like wills and mortgage deeds with the change that you could get really screwed :confused:

Dyepaintball12

You can get really good IDs on "Yonge Street" (or maybe it was Young Street) in Toronto, Ontario. I bought some from their and have used them in bars for years without a second look. At least 5 stores on that street make them and one is especially good with a huge picture of a Michigan ID outside of it.

Make sure they show you the book that has pictures of all the States IDs and the ID they just made you to check how good it looks.