Robert Maheu passes away at age of 91

Robert Maheu passes away at age of 91

Aug 5, 2008 | NEWS-3 LAS VEGAS

It's a sad day for long-time Las Vegans as they mourn a legend. Robert Maheu, one of the movers and shakers of this city, has died. The so-called "right hand man" of Howard Hughes passed away Monday night at Desert Springs Hospital. News 3's Marie Mortera offers more information on his life and how he helped shape the Las Vegas that we all know today.
The Coffee Pub is where you'll find the talk of the town. But Tuesday, its only somber conversations as many remember Robert Maheu. He was a kind, warm friend, recalls University Regent Thalia Dondero. "He was always gracious and said hello to you and sat down and talked to you," recalls Dondero. "And yet, he was just quiet, totally dedicated and loyal to his employer."

Maheu has often been described as Howard Hughes' alter ego, even though they mainly communicated over the phone and through memos. Maheu began working with Hughes in 1955 and spent the next 15 years taking care of business for the eccentric billionaire. In 1970, Hughes dismissed Maheu, who then filed suit against Hughes and won a nearly $3 million settlement. Of their relationship, Maheu said in 2004, "In reality, I never met Howard Hughes. He and I had, undoubtedly, the most unbelievable relationship that's ever existed in American business."

Those close to Maheu would say the same about him. University Chancellor and KVBC owner Jim Rogers says he was Maheu's first lawyer in 1971. Over the years, that relationship grew to advisor. And today, Jim Rogers says, "He became one of my five best friends. He had charisma, he had great charm. He was very smart, but I think his most important quality was that he was absolutely honest."

Recently, Maheu revealed his health was diminishing, and told News 3 that he was using a special form of therapy to alleviate the severe spinal pain he had been experiencing. Maheu was 91 years old when he passed away, but his legacy as a great businessman and a great friend will continue to live on. He leaves behind three children, ten grandchildren, and ten great-grandchildren. Maheu's funeral will be held Saturday at Noon at St. Viator's Catholic Church.

xxx