"Beat the Dealer" question

21Menace

I just bought "Beat the Dealer" and am finding some of the basic strategy is different from what I have learned. For example, the chart I learned says to Hit with an A, 2 hand against a dealer's 4. But the book says to double down.

The chart I have is 6deck, H17, DAS, No surrender, peek because I believe that one applies to most Las Vegas tables (let me know if I'm wrong). Is "Beat the Dealer" using different rules?

bj bob

daaaaveey said:
I just bought "Beat the Dealer" and am finding some of the basic strategy is different from what I have learned. For example, the chart I learned says to Hit with an A, 2 hand against a dealer's 4. But the book says to double down.

The chart I have is 6deck, H17, DAS, No surrender, peek because I believe that one applies to most Las Vegas tables (let me know if I'm wrong). Is "Beat the Dealer" using different rules?
The chart you see in Thorp's book was written for the standard single deck S-17 of the day and has a rather different BS than the 6 deck game. Check the Basic Strategy Engine on this site and you can compare the two.

shadroch

The BS charts in Beat The Dealer were for a Single Deck game that the dealer stood on all 17s.
In addition, later work done on high speed computers also resulted in a few other changes to BS.
Games in Vegas run from SD H17, DOA to 8DS17 to SD 6-5 and just about anything inbetween.

shadroch

The "Blackjack Zone" is an excellant first book. I'd read that before Modern BJ as it will help you get into the proper mental frame of mind.