Basic Stratagy Variations.

I was reading zengrifters interview the other day and I was intrigued by the part where he was talking about basic stratagy coin flips. What he meant was that certain basica stratagy plays are so close that it really won't affect your EV by picking one over the other. I was wondering what these plays are that he was talking about. Another question I have is what Basic stratagy plays you could change that really wouldn't affect your EV but would decrease your varience ie just hitting instead of doubling.

Guynoire

Surrender really decreases variance. Playing with surrender and learning surrender indices will decrease variance and increase expected value.

zengrifter said:
My comments were NOT for BS players - BS players do NOT need camoflauge.

The coin toss gambit in ZGI is for card-counters. zg
Well lets say you were card counting or shuffle tracking and if you wanted to deviate from basic stratagy and the indices for two reasons. One is that you thought if you deviated from Basic stratagy on the plays that don't really affect your EV you would get less heat. Second is that you had a smaller bankroll and you wanted to to choose the play to decrease your varience ( Hit instead of double or splitting ) but not decrease you EV significantly. What are some of these that you would suggest. So far I have seen 16vs10 and 12 vs 4 for the first category. Any suggestions of what these plays would be?

1357111317 said:
Well lets say you were card counting or shuffle tracking and if you wanted to deviate from basic stratagy and the indices for two reasons. One is that you thought if you deviated from Basic stratagy on the plays that don't really affect your EV you would get less heat. Second is that you had a smaller bankroll and you wanted to to choose the play to decrease your varience ( Hit instead of double or splitting ) but not decrease you EV significantly. What are some of these that you would suggest. So far I have seen 16vs10 and 12 vs 4 for the first category. Any suggestions of what these plays would be?
It only applies to counting (including ST) - when you are at the index, within a point or two it doesn't matter which way you go hit/stand. If you are at the cusp of departure and you hit in liue of double you would lower the variance, as well... but its meant to be RANDOM, hence the coin. If you don't use the coin's randomness than it may be cover but will tend towards systemic error and cost you EV and increased RoR. zg