Blackjack Switch

Traveller

Does dealer push 22 affect hitting? Sure it does!

Automatic Monkey June 14th 2006 stated earlier that it makes no difference if the dealer pushes on 22 as it does not affect what the outcome of your own hand is. ie 13 drawing an 8 will still push.

This is true, but the determining factor is how many hands actually do win.

For the next part please don't beat me up if my numbers are not exact, this is just an example.

For a normal game if you have 13 v 2 you will win 35% of the hands if you stand, if you hit then you will win less often, maybe 30%. Hence the basic strategy to stand.

However when you push v dealer 22 you will no longer win as many hands, if you stand this may drop down to 25% therefore now it becomes more efficient to hit. I know that the 30% return figure if you hit will also drop, but could it be that it is still more efficient to hit?

I hope from this you can get the gist of my argument.

I have no doubt that you would hit more often against a push 22. The question is, how much more.

Traveller

Brock Windsor

The WOO posted a new switching strategy on 6 May. There is still no basic strategy or switching strategy for the S17 game. I know of no specialized count. If Geoff Hall is still around this board it might be interesting to hear his take.
-BW

Geoff Hall

Brock Windsor said:
The WOO posted a new switching strategy on 6 May. There is still no basic strategy or switching strategy for the S17 game. I know of no specialized count. If Geoff Hall is still around this board it might be interesting to hear his take.
-BW
It's been a while since I visited these forums and, during that period, The Wiz has come up with a more easily defined 'Switch' strategy for the H17 game. The main difference in the S17 game, from what i remember, is that you hit 12 vs 5 & 6 as well - can't remember any other deviations from H17.