MGM beating

Brock Windsor

The cop won't get fired for that. Police associations (unions) have their own teams of lawyers that protect the brotherhood at all times. Administrative punishment with pay, no charges, and an out of court settlement. If a security guard tuned a drunk like that on camera he'd be fired and arrested. Think how different it would have been if the cop and patron were of different races.

Coyote

Whenever I am pulled over I always have the presupposition that the officer is having a bad day and I do not want to cause any provication! It's alwasys both hands on the wheel, and I dont make a move to get my wallet or registration until I am instructed to do so. Especially in the Detroit area!

Take care out there friends!!!
Coyote

Crime

Brock Windsor said:
The cop won't get fired for that. Police associations (unions) have their own teams of lawyers that protect the brotherhood at all times. Administrative punishment with pay, no charges, and an out of court settlement. If a security guard tuned a drunk like that on camera he'd be fired and arrested. Think how different it would have been if the cop and patron were of different races.
If he is charges with assault or aggravated assault and found guilty or pleads the union can't do a thing, he is out as he will then have a criminal record.

He should face AGG. ASS. charges, for sure.

CP

Jack_Black

MasterofNone said:
JB: Instead of responding I would ask you to indulge me in the following scenario which unfortunately occurs.

Police are called on an alleged drunk driver driving the wrong way on an interstate at speeds in excess of 100 mph. You are the offficer closest to the interstate. Area departments advise it will be at least 10 min until they can shut off access ramps to the interstate.

Do you chase? Not chase?

You chase and the drunk (alleged) plows into a 70 year old couple leaving their 50 year college reunion and kills them both.

You don't chase and the drunk (alleged) plows into the couple killing them.

In both cases the estate of the family sue the municipality and the state. In the first case for chasing the drunk in the second case for not intervening to protect and ensure the public safety.

For your response i will give you all the time you need to respond instead of the few seconds the officer has.

If that makes me a police apologist so be it. I am glad I don't have to live wioth making a decision like that and having to live with the consequences if I screw up.

Yes there are bad police and yes they should be weeded out out the profession.

All the best.

MoN
This scenario has nothing to do with police brutality/excessive force. but I don't see how anyone with half a brain wouldn't chase in the first place. if there be a lawsuit, so be it. I doubt that one would hold up.

the problem with the police is that they always hire bullies. people who enjoy a role of power and dishing out punishment. why didn't you use a take down scenario for an example? any of the videos I linked would have been good. in each of those cases, I wouldn't have needed to do much. Do I need to body slam a 15yo girl into a wall as a first response? Do I need to give black eyes to a schizo? Do I need to punch another 15 yo girl in the face 3x, run her head into a wall, and pick her up by her hair all because she kicked her shoe at me? even in the Detroit MGM case, I would have told the drunk to back off before I put you down. and that would have been more by choke hold, or taser. No need to give him a broken nose and ribs.

FrankieT

I agree with the OP on this. They tend to be exactly the type - poorly educated bullies with badges. And it's even scarier to think that security guards have less training than these "officers of the peace".

If you do nothing and act as calm and compliant as possible, it still won't do anything if the guy is having a bad day and just feels like showing what a big man he is against a powerless civilian.

Large city police corruption is rampant. I think at one point 40 years ago 3/4 of the NYPD was corrupt.

Last edited:
MasterofNone said:
No I am not a police apologist. I try to see the bigger picture. There are good cops and bad cops like any other profession. I thank you tho for taking the time to research and correct my statement on police fatalities.

Now please explain your statement "half of those deaths involve car crashes, where the cop behavior was likely completely inappropriate." I am curious how you arrived at this conclusion.

Regards, MoN
Actually, I should've posted "is often likely to be completely inappropriate", based on the observation of police pursuit policies over the years both in the media and in public. There was a case just recently of a motor police officer who was killed (ironically during a funeral procession for another officer) when he crazily gunned his bike, colliding with another motor cop. (The incident also underlined a growing, and somewhat disturbing, tendency to hold massive, costly funerals for peace officers no matter what the details of their demise. In the above case, the officer died from cancer in circumstances very unlikely to have been related to his job).

So I thank you for the correction, as I did not mean to imply that ALL such crashes are the result of negligence--I just wanted to show that a great many of police deaths are of this nature (and do not involve criminal attacks).

I do think it is very telling how the perception (your claim of hundreds of police murdered on the streets) and the reality (a tiny fraction of that number) lives on in the public imagination.

Jack_Black

shadroch said:
Any type of hold that deprives a person oxygen is illegal in most jurisdictions.
whoa. so what is legal then? punching and breaking bones? but I do see why choke hold is illegal. we already have bully cops beating people up. An overzeolous cop would probably kill someone in a choke hold vs just breaking bones.

Daggers

bouncers have been known to get in the face of 12 year old boys. at least that's how it was back when i was that age. ;) don't ask how i know

shadroch

Jack_Black said:
whoa. so what is legal then? punching and breaking bones? but I do see why choke hold is illegal. we already have bully cops beating people up. An overzeolous cop would probably kill someone in a choke hold vs just breaking bones.

The Rodney King incident happened about three weeks after the LAPD banned any type of choke hold. For several years previous, officers were trained extensively in various choke holds and didn't recieve proper baton training.
In one of those weird coincidences that happen from time to time, after the riots, the LAPD brought in Martial Arts expert to teach instructors in the police academy some new non-choke holds. An instructor at the academy named John McCarthy met the Gracie family and his career as the number one referee in mixed martial arts was launched.

Jack_Black said:
Sleeper hold is pressure on the carotid artery depriving blood flow to the head.

Bronco

bronco60 said:
Actually, I should've posted "is often likely to be completely inappropriate", based on the observation of police pursuit policies over the years both in the media and in public. There was a case just recently of a motor police officer who was killed (ironically during a funeral procession for another officer) when he crazily gunned his bike, colliding with another motor cop. (The incident also underlined a growing, and somewhat disturbing, tendency to hold massive, costly funerals for peace officers no matter what the details of their demise. In the above case, the officer died from cancer in circumstances very unlikely to have been related to his job).

So I thank you for the correction, as I did not mean to imply that ALL such crashes are the result of negligence--I just wanted to show that a great many of police deaths are of this nature (and do not involve criminal attacks).

I do think it is very telling how the perception (your claim of hundreds of police murdered on the streets) and the reality (a tiny fraction of that number) lives on in the public imagination.
Bronco, you are so very correct about the funerals. They are so excessive and costly to the taxpayer, a grand display of group narcissism.

One of our most recent was for a drunk deputy at a fair, off duty, riding around on a golf cart, fell off and cracked his skull,,,given a huge "hero's" funeral. I could give more examples.

CP