Dice Control: Is It Cheating?

callipygian

Meshounah said:
of course, I don't plan to be a millionaire, My plans was to make 20k at a "legit job" then use it as a bankroll for AP, I hope to score myself a scholarship, but if I don't, I won't have to knock my parents doors down for money. I hope to become self sufficient early in life. Dave Ramsey said " live like no-one else, so you can live like no-one else later in life."
I think it will be difficult to find a part-time job which will allow you to save $20k through high school. But if you can do it, good luck.

Edit: Consider poker as a lower-variance option. You'll need less of a bankroll and depending on where you live, you might be able to play online (which will allow for a more flexible schedule).

yes, I was considering poker also, I've been playing for about a year now, but I can easily beat my stepfather who has been playing for 20+ years

:celebrate

thanks for the advice callipygian, it helped me alot

Guynoire

If you read Scarne on Dice he talks about most aspects of dice control in his section on cheating. That book was first written in the 40's so I don't think that it is a recent phenomenom and it's possible that modern writers just renamed techniques formerly known to be cheating as advantage gambling.

Even if dice control is legitimate it might be wise to use strategies used by cheaters. For example using a confederate to make the bets while you make smaller contrary wagers could confuse the heat.

ChefJJ

Guynoire said:
If you read Scarne on Dice he talks about most aspects of dice control in his section on cheating. That book was first written in the 40's so I don't think that it is a recent phenomenom and it's possible that modern writers just renamed techniques formerly known to be cheating as advantage gambling.

Even if dice control is legitimate it might be wise to use strategies used by cheaters. For example using a confederate to make the bets while you make smaller contrary wagers could confuse the heat.
Scarne's old books are amazing just to have in the library. Awesome vintage photos, early craps table layouts, etc.

But how is it cheating when you satisfy all of the house's rules for a roll (e.g. not sliding the dice, crossing the center of the table, hitting the back wall)? :confused: You are right though about advantage craps play...it is not a new concept, just like card counting is not a new concept. With AP craps, it is not the technique that is being refined since it lies with the person doing it. Being a physical skill, it is a "to each his own" thing. What has been refined is the way to measure skill and tailor your betting to gain an advantage. This parallels to counting in that the fundamental is high cards are good to the player, low cards good to the house. The way you count and bet accordingly is what is being refined.

There are shitty authors out there, so I definitely feel your skepticism with many of their approaches.

good luck