10 to 1 push bet

FrankieT

side bet pays 10 to 1 if u push. You can only play half your main bet

Obviously a 20/20 push is much more likely to occur the higher the count

is there an index for hilo where this becomes positive ev, and if so is it profitable enough to pursue ?

FrankieT said:

is there an index for hilo where this becomes positive ev, and if so is it profitable enough to pursue ?
max bet of main bet ?
both natural is a push ?

at the store near where I live they have the push sb. table is 5-500. You can only sb up to half your main bet. if you take even money on your natural then push they will also pay the 10-1.

FrankieT said:

An ace neutral count is much better suited to this side bet. If you are already familiar with HILO, Hiopt I would be a good choice. It would certainly flag when the twenty pushes are likely much more accurately.

FrankieT

jnrwilliam said:
max bet of main bet ?
both natural is a push ?
can get up to 200 max on two hands for the main bet

thats a good question about natural - not certain but im gonna assume yes since its a push just like any other push

tthree said:
An ace neutral count is much better suited to this side bet. If you are already familiar with HILO, Hiopt I would be a good choice. It would certainly flag when the twenty pushes are likely much more accurately.
Aces wouldn't hurt it too bad. Would not be worth the effort to either learn a new neutral count
or to add a secondary Ace count to adjust the TC for sidebet. Just need the HiLo strike point. zg

MangoJ said:
Nice catch. I guess EV can be improved with a different playing strategy having more focus on pushes (i.e. don't split 99 vs 8, stand A6 vs 7). I played a bit with my CA using a modified paytable. Results were "interesting".
I was thinking the same thing. A modified play strategy when you have the side bet out. It would make the strike point lower I would think. I still say HIOPT I is the way to go for a HILO player. He could probably keep most of his indices unchanged. That would lower the strike point a lot I would think.

OR use HIOPT I with a side count of A -1 and 2 +1 and add them together to become HILO. Use HIOPT I for your strike point.

Beyond Counting

There's a chapter in the book, Beyond Counting, talking about this, page 71, titled "A Push is a Win". I'm not sure if it's useful as I haven't read the chapter yet.

moo321

The Chaperone said:
I was flat-betting, play-all. No counting :)

This side bet is worth basically nothing with the rules outlined in the OP.
This doesn't sound right. This thing has to have a SCORE of at least 10, assuming hi-lo and reasonable penetration.

On the other hand, we have to be careful distorting our strategy, as this decreases the EV on the main bet.