In between bj?

blackchipjim

I ran into a new side game called in-between bj. It's a side bet that the player can bet 1-50 that they dealer will get a card between your two cards. I was studing the game thinking of a way to beat the house while just playing normal ap against the game. Other than slowing down the game when someone wins has anyone played this variation of bj. I checked the Wizard of odds quickly and didn't see it listed. I did play the sidebet with a ace side count to see if that was a deciding factor but didn't have the time to pursue further study.

blackchipjim

in between

It's a standard bj game s17 8deck, the dealer drawing a match to your pair pays 30-1. I figuired the best play with type of game would be a high count but that's without the math to back up that theory. If I remember correctly it's 30:1 for triple match 12:1 for a middle card between your cards.I did hit a few times with a high count but like I said no theory to back it up.

ace only counts as high only.
two cards matching dealer'up card ---> 30 to 1
one card spread (e.g :your hand 7-9 dealer 8) ----> 10 to 1
two card spread (e.g : 4-7 dealer 6) ------> 6 to 1
three card spread ----> 4 to 1
any spread ---> 2 to 1

it was at mohegan sun Im not sure if it was 8 or 6 decks.

blackchipjim

The counts

I was just asking if there was a count that would give you an edge over just hit or miss. I thought a high count would segment the decks to a slight advantage since we would narrow the variables to high cards. This was just a thoughts on beating a carnival game.:grin:

blackchipjim

max

The bets can be 1 to 50 on the side bet with no restrictions. The payoffs 30-1 on trip match,12-1 on one spread, 6-1 on two between, 4-1 on three between, and 1-1 on any between. I had the most luck on the high counts and bjs to boot to even out the hand. That is why I thought high counts would be the best time to take the sidebet.

miplet

blackchipjim said:
The bets can be 1 to 50 on the side bet with no restrictions. The payoffs 30-1 on trip match,12-1 on one spread, 6-1 on two between, 4-1 on three between, and 1-1 on any between. I had the most luck on the high counts and bjs to boot to even out the hand. That is why I thought high counts would be the best time to take the sidebet.
Assuming me and excel are having a good day I get an ev of -0.030797884962369 with 8 decks.
This and other side bets can be found in my google docs side bets

blackchipjim

pos. vs neg. count adv.

I agree with too Cashmere, any count that would increase the probability of high or low card groupings would work. I would have to wonder if a balanced count would give a better picture than an unbalanced count.

Whoa! Hold the phone!

"Red Dog" (which this is actually a form of) is an extremely difficult game to beat. It's not practically beatable without nextcard information. I think the fact that the paytable was initially misdescribed is what generated some early interest in this thread. Don't try to attack it with ordinary counting techniques.

Yes I have to agree with automatic monkey. After playing with excel, I figured out that neither high or low counts help. As a matter of fact high or low counts can make it worse :). What helps is that if the deuces and aces are low and 7-8-9's are rich in the deck. I haven't tried out all combinations yet but I guess when the ace+deuce count per deck is 5 or lower it becomes a profitable bet. So the game can be beaten but you will have to count one more side count.

In-between corrections

First it is with 6 decks, house cuts out 2 decks.
Second any spread larger than 3 card spread = 1:1 payout not 2:1

cashmere said:
ace only counts as high only.
two cards matching dealer'up card ---> 30 to 1
one card spread (e.g :your hand 7-9 dealer 8) ----> 10 to 1
two card spread (e.g : 4-7 dealer 6) ------> 6 to 1
three card spread ----> 4 to 1
any spread ---> 2 to 1

it was at mohegan sun Im not sure if it was 8 or 6 decks.