Crash course in Texas Holdem?

blackjacktilt

21forme said:
It's a limit game.
yuck, have fun with taking beats all night brotha!!!
I'm not a limit player, so for me to give extensive advice would be pointless.
It's a total different game.
Just play good hands in position aggressively, and pray to the poker gods you don't get sucked out on every time you're in.
But, have fun, drink alot and have no regard for whatever you're buying in for.
AFTERALL IT'S NEW YEARS EVE!!!

21forme

As it turned out, I got some misinformation about the game. It was a no-limit game set up like a tournament with increasing blinds, etc. Buy-in was $20 for fake money chips.

My first 7 or 8 hands, I folded all of them, not seeing a card above an 8 and nothing suited. One guy was bluffing his way thru almost every pot. Finally, as dealer, I got to play a hand with KJ. A K came out on the flop along with 2 suited small cards. Mr. Bluffer went all in and I called. Everyone else folded. Mr. Bluffer made his flush on the river with 2 more diamonds on the turn and river. His hole cards were 96o.

A few years ago, I bought a couple of books on poker when I was thinking of getting into it, but punted, because I thought it was so slow and boring. Tonight confirmed my feelings about the game.

DeTalores

21forme said:
As it turned out, I got some misinformation about the game. It was a no-limit game set up like a tournament with increasing blinds, etc. Buy-in was $20 for fake money chips.

My first 7 or 8 hands, I folded all of them, not seeing a card above an 8 and nothing suited. One guy was bluffing his way thru almost every pot. Finally, as dealer, I got to play a hand with KJ. A K came out on the flop along with 2 suited small cards. Mr. Bluffer went all in and I called. Everyone else folded. Mr. Bluffer made his flush on the river with 2 more diamonds on the turn and river. His hole cards were 96o.

A few years ago, I bought a couple of books on poker when I was thinking of getting into it, but punted, because I thought it was so slow and boring. Tonight confirmed my feelings about the game.
Early game in tournaments is slow and boring, its just foldfoldfoldfoldfold.
Late game is the place where you can get a little more creative and liberal and start opening up your range in position.

Now cash game is a completely different story, you should always be playing deep stacked and the value of the chips always stay the same. It allows for creative plays whenever you want.

Jack_Black

21forme said:
One guy was bluffing his way thru almost every pot.
Oh really!!! You don't say!! in a low limit game? you don't say!! did he place fairly high? you don't say!!

21forme said:
Finally, as dealer, I got to play a hand with KJ. A K came out on the flop along with 2 suited small cards. Mr. Bluffer went all in and I called. Everyone else folded. Mr. Bluffer made his flush on the river with 2 more diamonds on the turn and river. His hole cards were 96o.

What I and Mr. bluffer are trying to tell you is that Poker can be fun because there are so many different ways to win. You can't compare it BJ. BJ is fast and hands/hour are astromical compared to poker. But APBJ is comparable to working in a factory. there is only way to count, one way to HC, one way to sequence. But poker, is dynamic. I compare bj and poker to checkers and chess. Poker, you can be mathematical, play only +ev hands, compare your pot odds to number of outs, or you can bully people around, bet heavily, call anything, or play tight aggressive, OR you can be all player types within the same game, confusing your opponents so they can't ever get a read on your play style. that is one of keys to beating the tables consistently.

btw, I've asked a lot of my friends to play BJ with me, and many even find BJ to be boring!! Blaspemy!!

21forme

Jack_Black said:
What I and Mr. bluffer are trying to tell you is that Poker can be fun because there are so many different ways to win. You can't compare it BJ. BJ is fast and hands/hour are astromical compared to poker. But APBJ is comparable to working in a factory. there is only way to count, one way to HC, one way to sequence. But poker, is dynamic. I compare bj and poker to checkers and chess. Poker, you can be mathematical, play only +ev hands, compare your pot odds to number of outs, or you can bully people around, bet heavily, call anything, or play tight aggressive, OR you can be all player types within the same game, confusing your opponents so they can't ever get a read on your play style. that is one of keys to beating the tables consistently.

btw, I've asked a lot of my friends to play BJ with me, and many even find BJ to be boring!! Blaspemy!!
Maybe I'm just a creature of habit, old and set in my ways. :)

BTW, did you get my text msg today? I didn't get any acknowledgment.

Machinist

POKER Gaaaagggggghhhhhhh...... Quit wasting your time......... Next time your in a poker room look around real real good.... Do you really want to hang with poker Tr**h...!!!!
Not all poker players are garb**e....but a whole lot are more than aren't..... Study BJ and all that goes along with it.....way way better EV....
Did i mention i hate poker???:eek:

Machinist

Jack_Black

21Forme: yes, I texted you back and was wondering why you didn't answer my question.

Macho: tonight I played bj and flat betted cuz the count didn't go anywhere, but I had the pc watching my every move. I then moved over to the craps table, and the same pc only came over once to ask the boxman something.

Yes, I made more at craps tonight.