predicament...

doesn't the dealer have the same probability of getting a good hand as you if the decks hot? what the use of basing your bets on the count when having a high count means that the dealer will get a hand that will just push or beat your hand? Why count if your still leaning on luck to win? Am I missing something here :confused:

kewljason

MOOLA said:
doesn't the dealer have the same probability of getting a good hand as you if the decks hot? what the use of basing your bets on the count when having a high count means that the dealer will get a hand that will just push or beat your hand? Why count if your still leaning on luck to win? Am I missing something here :confused:
Most of the players advantage in high counts is due to the 3-2 blackjack payout which happens more frequently during high counts. Double downs also become more profitable.

Sonny

From the Frequently Asked Questions thread:

iCountNTrack said:
Does the player win more hands at high True Count?

Practically no, very small increase in percentage of hands won. Your edge at high TC stems from the increase in probability of getting a BJ, more successful double downs and splits.
Sonny said:
The advantage is that you have the opportunity to split, double down and get paid 3:2 for a blackjack. That gives the player more chances to make money. Imagine a coin flip where you lose $1 on heads and win $1.50 on tails. It doesn't matter that it's a 50/50 shot, the increased payout makes the game more profitable for you than the other player (dealer).

-Sonny-
-Sonny-

DonR

A little bit of a problem with all these players' advantages at high counts is that they go along with the infamous "long run". You cannot expect to see significant results in a short period of time.

Unfortunately for me, after 6 months of playing, using card counting, I can say that all these high counts have been brutal to me. I lost all these sessions. Too many stiff hands, too many pushes on seemingly good hands; not a good experience at all. I think that my overall results would have been better, using Wonging only and betting 1 or 2 units only, regardless of how high the count is. I am not saying that it is the proper way, I'm just telling you what my experience has been so far.

ihate17

Agree with everything except

TommyMoe21 said:
What Kewljason said plus the dealer will bust more.
You do get the 3/2 bonus and will be more successful on both your doubles and positive expectation splits, but the dealer actually does not bust more.
The fact is that the dealer will bust more in a high count when the dealer is showing a bust card, but that is balanced by the fact that in a high count the dealer will show fewer bust cards.

The money comes from blackjacks, doubles, splits, proper use of insurance and surrender.

ihate17